I've grown out of my Canon Powershot A3000IS, what should I get now?

AgentDrex

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I spent $130 on the camera I am using now. I'm looking to spend no more than $600 on a camera at the moment. I don't care if it's used or not. I just need a camera that can use multiple lenses, and that's why I was thinking something Nikon since they apparently can take lenses made from years ago. I don't care if it has auto-focusing or not, rather do it all manually actually. I guess what I'm looking for is a camera that has the ability to take photos with a nice DOF without being so darn close to the subject like I have to when I use my current camera. What I would really like is a D90 but my budget isn't that great. I can't even afford the body at the moment let alone lenses, a tripod, speed lights, etc. I realize I could go to ebay to look for cheap-priced used cameras. What are my choices for camera models?

Nikons and Canons can both take lenses from years ago, it just depends on how far back you want to go...

Sounds like what you would want is a Canon 40d + 50mm f/1.8, or the Nikon equivalent.

I recommend that you research as much as possible for what camera you want. Obviously your price range puts you in the entry level market. You should be able to buy a body and kit lens in the $600-800 price range. If you are concerned about DOF just about any body/lens combo will give you what you want when setup properly.

I think the new Nikon D3100 with kit lens will suit you well. Good features and close to your $600 price range.

I am looking at both suggestions at the moment. What are the differences between Canon and Nikon that would be important to take note of when deciding between the two brands.

The spelling.

nah I went with Canon because of personal preference... that's the only reason to choose either way, no matter what people tell you.

I have a hard time with Canon's layout/controls and their lenses turning the "wrong" direction. That said, on the used market I think the 40d is absolutely the best deal you can buy. You could find a used 40d w/ 50mm f1.8 for the 600-700 range. You will not find a comparable Nikon for that price range on the used market in my opinion.

Seriously... another Nikon vs Canon thread?? :lmao:

Pick the color you like better and run with it!

I'm going to recommend Pentax. TONS of legacy glass, and some really top-notch manual lenses from the 70s and early 80s that can be had for a song. You'll be manually focusing and using stop-down metering, but, IMO, Pentax is the best value for the money in terms of build-quality vs. price-point vs. availablitly vs. legacy accessories.

Both Nikon and Canon offer great systems that allow you to grow with. See which ergonimics you prefer and which matches your budget.

Your best bet is a cheapish body with a 50mm f/1.8 lens. A wide aperture is one of the main ingredients in getting a nice blurry background (long focal lenght and distance from subject to background are the others). The 1.8 is wide and the lens runs about $100.

I saw a Canon XSI body for sale, new, for $500 CDN. That, plus the 1.8, you are under $600 USD.

It's simple, go to a store that sells both brands, and handle/play with both. The one that feels more intuitive and feels the best in your hand is the one you should get. Both brands are awesome, but for me, it was Nikon. It felt the most natural to me. Hope this helps!:mrgreen:

Thanks for all the great input. It looks as though my budgeted amount is going to barely cover something entry-level and a lens. But I'm happy now that I have something to go by. I definitely want a white camera...not enough of those...most being black for some reason...

Most reactions

Back