I've lost again... because I'm not a pro

mmaria

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
When I got interested in photography or maybe even before that, I got also interested in graphic design. So I kind of know something about that too (something, I said)...

We (institution I mean, work) moved to a new building a month ago and new office signs and actually any other visual element needed to be redone. One of my tasks was to come up with something... I would bring my laptop (yes, laptop) to the office because of the Illustrator and I was working on old logo, new website, business cards, office signs and else... I had limitations such as "dark blue" "red" "gold" but I could choose shades (do you know how difficult is gold in design and printing?). I spent a fair amount of time just choosing the right color combination, fonts... etc etc

Somehow a Chief of a department (not mine department) got involved in the story and we started communicate over that, I would listen what he would suggest, explain him what can and can't be done. I would incorporate what he likes and such, we agreed about the way of numbering offices, floors... well... what happened?

Few days ago, out of the sudden he calls me in his office to look at a design for office signs someone (a company) did. They basically did nothing, the job was probably done in 5 minutes. Their blue background is "pen blue", their gold is lemon yellow. Font is Arial. Their design could be done in MS Office, even Word.
I told him my opinion in a nicest way and continued to work on my design.

He saw my design that day and told me that we can't use my font because professionals chose that particular font and there is a reason because of they did like that...there is a reason for their color and everything... he was lecturing me about something he has no clue but professional did it and that's enough for him.

He completely shut me down from this. In these past few days he wouldn't say nothing to me... and I realized that he probably decided to go with their design. Since he is a chief of an apartment he can decide what is best, and since our boss don't give a dime over some design he will listen him.... It's ok...

This morning... drilling machine and the signs are being placed on the walls...

I've lost so many hours over this, and nerves, and I was constantly thinking about details... and now we will have something that hurt my eyes...

It's ok...I'm not a professional designer... so what do I know...

I don't know if there is a name for it but it's common for the creative types to spend months on a project only to have it scrapped or usurped at the last minute. I know I have had it happen to me more times than I can count. it sting but you gotta soldier on.

Omg how many words I've written! I didn't even realize! lol

Yeah, it sucks! I, of course decided that I should smile on all this, but that drilling machine just wont let me!

If they did a good job, I would be sorry for the time I spent on this, but I wont be sorry because they did better job and they deserved it.

But, they did something really bad...and just the way how he acts today, he completely ignores me now. I tried to smile when I was passing by those workers and him but he turned the head...

Two of us are working on another project...but.. it will be the same scenario it seems...

just be thankful they didn't use comic sans.

I would actually tell him to butt out the process; no joke. You have to flex the **** out of your muscles and make everyone else feel stupid and belittle them for the audacity of second guessing your work.

I'm giving a presentation on UI design tomorrow in my office, I'm using a project here--that everyone is sore about--where they decided not to utilize a UI designer as an example of poor design. It should go over well...

I'm confused. What is your job there? If you are a in-house designer why did they hire another company? Have you had any formal graphic design training? Sorry but that's the life of a designer. You spend hours upon hours then things are scrapped and you have to go another way.

Sounds like this other company is just WAY better at selling their designs than you are. Selling your design is a whole college class unto itself. They know this and were able to cast doubt on your design. Your colors may be harder and more costly to print, the font you used may have a "cannot be used for logos" clause in the EUA that you didn't check, etc...

I'm curious as to your training and background. Care to share?

:hug::
Don't let the man get you down. Hold your head high, it sounds like you worked hard on the project and did your best.

People that don't know anything don't know what they don't know.

That tends to result in two groups of behaviour extremes:
1) They are convinced that they DO know what they are doing even above and beyond trained professionals - actually because they are not trained they are superior as they've not just been trained like a monkey to do repeat stuff in school - they are free, no laws, no rules and they've got the vision!

2) They are convinced that the professional (ie whoever has a bit of paper) knows what they are doing. Doesn't matter what anyone else says, the professional knows!

Seems you got group 2 and chances are the professional group sold their marketing logo to the boss well; couple that with the fact that he might well have brought that outside group in and thus its something "he" did within the company (which might explain why he butted into the process in the first place). Sometimes people just want to put their mark on something to help push them up within the company - which can lead to all kinds of stupid being done.

The thing I learned early on is to separate myself from my work. The stuff I do for money or at work I don't "care" about. Of course I have professional pride and want people to be happy with it, but if someone doesn't like it or wants to change something well I don't care. I use my free time to work on things that I am more attached to and care about.

Also just realize alot of organizations do not value their internal people as much as they should.
I worked for a company once in which we had to design our computer network. It covered multiple floors, such as 25, 24, 18, 7 & 4th floors.

My design has specific requirements in it including fiber and the reasons for it, et all.
They brought in an expert consulting firm that did a different design. They went with a basic design. But their network, from the get go had problems. All the problems I listed (including putting unsheilded cabling next to the main building power up the elevator shaft). In the end, their network ended up being the design I originally designed ... but at a much higher cost because their tried to troubleshoot their design and improve it .. a few iterations later they ended up where I wanted to start.

So .. go figure. Internal talent sometimes is not recognized.
For some reason outside people are considered of a higher talent (in some, not all organizations).

Learn that it is just a job. You get paid whether they take the design or not, and whether it is better or not.

Also just realize alot of organizations do not value their internal people as much as they should.
I worked for a company once in which we had to design our computer network. It covered multiple floors, such as 25, 24, 18, 7 & 4th floors.

My design has specific requirements in it including fiber and the reasons for it, et all.
They brought in an expert consulting firm that did a different design. They went with a basic design. But their network, from the get go had problems. All the problems I listed (including putting unsheilded cabling next to the main building power up the elevator shaft). In the end, their network ended up being the design I originally designed ... but at a much higher cost because their tried to troubleshoot their design and improve it .. a few iterations later they ended up where I wanted to start.

So .. go figure. Internal talent sometimes is not recognized.
For some reason outside people are considered of a higher talent (in some, not all organizations).

Learn that it is just a job. You get paid whether they take the design or not, and whether it is better or not.

I need to quit and come back as a consultant to get the respect and money i deserve.

I actually quoted almost everyone so I can give a huge :hug::but it was a huge post so consider yourselves hugged ;)

Thank you guys for being so nice! I'm much better now..:lovey:

Braineack, lol !

Now, got to answer a few serious questions asked here...

- No, I don't have any formal training. Yes, I'm well aware of what you're saying Ccericola, about colors and about fonts
- No, my job officially don't include either, photography and design, I'm an Independent Associate for Project Management (variety fields), my diploma is Master in Engineering Management (how do you say that, vocation?) So, that's' my background . This task was given to me because I'm the person who usually do "stuff like that". I had many other things to do but, I was really dedicated to this one.
- I have a regular wage that don't depend on working on additional projects. The company will however be paid for the job of course. If I did it, I wouldn't be additionally paid.
- No, it wasn't about other companies selling design to us/him, because they (at least three companies) would have to make us an official offer and I would be aware of that offer. We as the public institution have certain regulation. They didn't make make the decision, he made it. My (our) boss didn't even see my design. All ended without my knowledge.

Last edited:
Overread, you're sooo right!

The thing I learned early on is to separate myself from my work. The stuff I do for money or at work I don't "care" about. Of course I have professional pride and want people to be happy with it, but if someone doesn't like it or wants to change something well I don't care. I use my free time to work on things that I am more attached to and care about.
Yeah... I'm learning that... I much better now then I used to.

From time to time something happens that I care about, and I really cared about this.

My last office signs were 5 years on their doors... that means that I will look at these forever... just saying....

Manaheim's Law: People suck.

Most reactions

Back