Jay with Toyo 4x5

kdthomas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is HP4 pushed +1 in ilfosol 3 (I added an extra minute ... no information in the online docs ... what the heck)

This shoot was really unique for me ... because I jumped out on a limb and shot 18 sheets ... and did not shoot any digital "polaroids". They wound up about a stop high in the original ... but lightroom corrected this nicely, I thought.

C&C please.

Edit: doh! FP4

1)
jay-portrait-edit-1.jpg

2)
jay-portrait-edit-2.jpg

Last edited:
I like the clarity and lighting. Hand is different.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Man I think really fantastic ! I've recently started to get back into film and having a great time . Love these . Well done .

I love the dichotomy of the first one..... left eye well light and in-focus, right eye dark and OOF.

I like the clarity and lighting. Hand is different.

Man I think really fantastic ! I've recently started to get back into film and having a great time . Love these . Well done .

I love the dichotomy of the first one..... left eye well light and in-focus, right eye dark and OOF.

Thanks very much! I really enjoyed this set, I think because I made a deliberate effort to SLOW DOWN and really get precisely *one* basic look right with some experimentation. I used a trick of altering the hand a bit in some of the poses to match up negatives with the shot list. Tried to take my time with the posing as well ... concentrated on telling Jay to keep his head vertical but nose pointed just to (his) right of the camera, and eyes finding the lens.

I knew the DOF would be thin (these are at about f/8 and f/5.6 with a 210 mm lens!) so I also set up a small makeup mirror about 6 feet to his right, and aligned his nose in the mirror with a little dot on the opposite wall. This allowed me to see when was leaning forward or backward slightly. I don't have my notes with me but I think the second one uses a 15 deg right swing on the lens.

As far as posing, on my next victim I may try same thing but with the "James Bond" left-hand-adjusting-the-right-cufflink pose. Or is that corny?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back