Jewelry Photography Rates

impossible to tell you have not yet seen an example. From 10$ to 6000$ (from Edward Edwards) per image

First you can not achieve the floating "white" background without Photoshop, EVER!

Not true at all.

Glass table, soft white back drop for light absorption of the back light, 2 lights under the table with key light, no strings, no bleaching on the ring from the back drop make sure there is a there is good distance between the subject and the back drop(white ceiling is perfect), use a prime lens with low F number to Bokeh the back drop so it's more matte, tripod your camera, use a remote and place all items on the table as you need basically allowing you to batch.

That would be my make shift solution and 0 photoshop.

View attachment 6726

I did a picture of sort of what I am on about but don't have a macro lens, so I popped my 18-135mm lens on back to front to capture this in macro and used the glass of a small lantern to set the ring on, perched it on my windowsill and used a static light to give the foreground light, the back light is the sky the focal range is pants because my lens is docked backwards but you get the gist.

Someone with more time and better kit could utilise this technique to the full extent.

We are talking about pure white. The definition of pure white is zero data. So what you technically get is blown out/specular highlight. And with silver since it is reflective you can not achieve a blown out background with out some reflective blown out silver. The photo you attached doesn't have a pure white background, it is shot on white, but it isn't pure white. A background with pure white is either going to be achieved through Photoshop clipping or using plexi underneath to blast the "background" which in turn will leave the bottom of the ring blown out, and/or hot light wrapping the edges. In which case you will have to retouch the piece of jewelry. Either way there is going to be retouching.

...We are talking about pure white. The definition of pure white is zero data. ...
Actually, the definition of pure white is the total abscence of colour, but that's neither here nor there. Is it really worth reviving a three-month old thread for?

Do you remember the company that had that ring? My friend is looking for one just like that for his girl

I agree with the others that your prices should reflect your cost

you can fire it up with a little retouch $ring.jpg

Attachments

• $ring_s.ellsworth.jpg
    $ring_s.ellsworth.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 297

Most reactions

New Topics

Back