Jokes on me - new Nikon d5300

Why does this idiocy continue?

The one dial can adjust iso, aperture, and shutter speed.

Read the manual!!!

I see that one dial can adjust all three of those, it's just much more dysfunctional than the d80 and d7000 series. Also when you want to adjust anything the lcd is always on which drains crazy batter. I do love the flip out screen but I don't think it's worth the loss of the buttons on the camera. I'll definitely send the 5300 back for the 7100. Just hate those menus

Sent from iPhone

Does anyone know if the shutter sound of the d7100 is the same as the 5300 or the d80? The 5300 shutter sounds wicked cool, but this is of course not a deciding factor in my choice :p

Sent from iPhone

The ISO can be adjusted with the function button, no need to open the screen.

Just ordered the 7100 yesterday, I'm gonna return the 5300 for sure. I was looking forward to the rotating screen, because I do a lot of macro where I have to lay on the ground to take the photo, but the 7100 I ordered came with a wireless transmitter so I can view my photo on my phone before taking. I know it's very laggy and doesn't replace the camera lcd but for awkward shots it'll do. Not worth keeping the 5300 over.

Sent from iPhone

Just ordered the 7100 yesterday, I'm gonna return the 5300 for sure. I was looking forward to the rotating screen, because I do a lot of macro where I have to lay on the ground to take the photo, but the 7100 I ordered came with a wireless transmitter so I can view my photo on my phone before taking. I know it's very laggy and doesn't replace the camera lcd but for awkward shots it'll do. Not worth keeping the 5300 over.

Sent from iPhone

You will be happy that you did!!! And you can get a battery grip for the D7100 one day, to make it even better, when shooting portraits, etc... Congrats!!!

thanks! Yeah I feel better already. Relieved that I got the better model to begin with since this is going to last me probably another 10 years

Sent from iPhone

Just got the d7100 in the mail and WOW! Love this camera! So many features upgraded from the d80, and I don't even miss the 5300s rotating screen. The dual sd cards are amazing I can put raw on one and jpg copy on the other. I got the refurbished model from adorama and it came with a free wireless adapter so I can get those awkward shots. The size is much better for my hand, the 53 felt too small and cramped. Really looking forward to shooting with this camera, I appreciate everyone's input into this thread. With your help I'm extremely happy with the camera! No regrets whatsoever

Sent from iPhone

The D7100 has some nice features but most of the bad things said about the D5300 are not correct. Yes, only one dial on the back right where your thumb is usually placed. In Manual you adjust speed with it and you press a button right under your 1st finger and the wheel changes to be the adjustment for f-stop. A button on the finger of your left hand is pushed anytime and you adjust ISO. In Aperture mode the wheel adjusts aperture, etc.
Different but once you get used to it, almost as easy as two wheels.

I recently purchased a D300 for $200. My previous camera was a D60 and I could not be happier. If you can live with 12.6 Mega Pixles I would strongly recommend the camera. At some point I will purchase D700 (the FX version of the D300) for a second body.

QUOTE="cptn.nemo, post: 3661328, member: 215949"]So I just ordered a d5300 from adorama refurbished and I was super excited. Then I read around on this forum that it's nothing like my current d80 and all the options are on the menu. I checked the camera body and sure enough, no buttons, no dials, just a screen. So I'm wondering is this camera a HUGE pain to adjust while shooting? My d80 was so easy, I used it mostly in A and M settings, adjusting the aperture and shutter with the flick of a dial. Since the d7100 is actually 24mp (I thought it was 16) and is only $80 more refurbished, would I be best to cancel the 5300 and go with the 7100? I can't stand flicking threw menu options to change fast settings(iso, aperture, shutter, WB etc) does the 5300 make that miserable?

Sent from iPhone[/QUOTE]

Most reactions

Back