JPG & RAW on Same Card

Chris Stegner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.bluegrassphotography.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I shoot with a Canon 5D using a variety of cards. I have recently run across a problem where my camera decides, yes all on it's own, to process JPGs instead of Canon RAW files. I know, I know, you may think I've changed it without knowing. Not true. As a matter of fact I just shot a card of some interior shots and there were 39 files on the card and just 2 of them are JPGs.

Yesterday I shot an entire card only to return from my walk with a card full of JPGs. What a pain!

Any ideas?

That sounds weird. Do you format your cards?

Do you have lots of pictures of orbs? Is your camera haunted?

I like the formatting idea ...

After my post I thought of the formatting. I have done both... Format the card through the menu, and upon occasion I will view the first photo and hit the thrash icon, the camera then asks if I want to delete the photo showing or "all". I'll hit all.

But after getting back from another walk just (I'm on vacation in Careyes, Mexico) I just shot 2 more cards (that were formatted through the menu). Card one (SanDisk, ultra II, 2 gb) had 10 of 52 images as jpgs. Card two (Lexar, Platinum II 80x, 2 gb) had 11 of 86 images as jpgs.

What the hell???

... goes back to the haunted theory ...

After a swim and 2 more Rum & Cokes, I got it!

If I set my 5D to "Full Auto" mode, the only thing it will shoot is JPGs!

I typically do not shoot in full auto but as I was shooting I would shoot various setting as there's a ton of contrast in some of these shots, so I wanted to make sure I had enough to process. I thought I'd try full auto, but never again. At least not with shots I really want to have control over.

Thanks to all!

By the way, here's one of hundreds of shots, and this is only day 2 of my 7 day vacation.

IMG_9926-2-850x253.jpg

aha! I shoulda thought of that! Same thing happened to me when I first got my 30D and it was hell to figure it out! Well, glad to see you're back in business (and glad to see I don't need to start believing in ghosts).

I may be wrong but, If you shoot in the Auto mode (green square) it will save as a .jpg if you shoot in any of the program modes it should save as RAW. Try it out, but i noticed something like this when i first got my 40d.

My camera "thinks for itself" sometimes too! Sometimes it's file format, sometimes it's drive mode, sometimes it's ISO setting. Etc. It stops if I go in and set a bunch of menu items related to that feature. "Resetting" to factory defaults should do the trick as well. It's something in the preferences that gets corrupted and over writing it helps.

Most reactions

Back