Just a nice sunny and snowy morning in New Jersey

AlanKlein

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Well, it could be anywhere, but it was a nice view out the back door this morning when I got up.
Snow date today 1-7-22.jpg

I prefer the color version, b&w was never my thing. It looks like you used a polarizer, I've always liked the deep blue skies you get from that.
We woke up to snow here, too. But its still gloomy and not very scenic.

I like both but I like the color of the sky and tree in #1 best. It makes me miss the snow ... but just a little. :rolleyes-39:

I find the black and white to me a much more interesting picture. It highlights the more interesting elements of the image - texture, shapes, shades. In the color version, it just becomes all about the sky.

Thanks. The picture was taken with my cellphone. No filters. The BW was a straight grayscale conversion in Irfanview. I did lighten the shadows in Elements first for both pictures and played with contrast, etc., and cropped.

-

I like both, conveying the cold of the season. You were very successful
with the conversion, the whole tonal range is there. The only thing that
bugs me is why did you have to sharpen to the point of generating this
so present haloing?

Thanks. The picture was taken with my cellphone. No filters. The BW was a straight grayscale conversion in Irfanview. I did lighten the shadows in Elements first for both pictures and played with contrast, etc., and cropped.

That's interesting.The gradient in the sky had me convinced that you used a polarizer.
Still a nice shot.

-

I like both, conveying the cold of the season. You were very successful
with the conversion, the whole tonal range is there. The only thing that
bugs me is why did you have to sharpen to the point of generating this
so present haloing?
Are there haloes? For some reason, I'm finding it hard to see. I did add sharpening when I reduce the resolution using Irfanview. I suppose I should not have checked that box. I'll keep that in mind for the next time. Thanks.

That's interesting.The gradient in the sky had me convinced that you used a polarizer.
Still a nice shot.
Thnaks. No polarizer. I just check "convert to grayscale" in PS Elements and got what you see. I did add a little shadow lightening for the bottom section, but that's about it.

Clarification about the darker sky. I forgot that I also checked off IR filter rather than normal grayscale. That added the dramatically darker sky.

I like both versions! Nice shot. Could be anywhere, but North Texas right now. All the cold, none of the snow.

I'm from California. What's all that white stuff on the trees?

Most reactions

Back