JUst bought the Hummer of cameras and Mcgiver of Lenses

I hate to tell you this but you did not get a "decent" lens. You got an overpriced marginally sharp lens that is priced for the "all in one" feature rather than image quality. You did get a great body though why not return the lens and get a couple of fast primes for the same price. I really don't mean to be so down but I feel it is my duty as a Nikon devotee to steer people away from products that make them (Nikon) look bad.
YOU don't like it. Other people do, and love it! Therefore you speak only for yourself.

[theadamsociety]
"Oh man, I had to do this
If we replace "McGuiver" with 18-200 VR
and we replace "Versatility" with Photoshop

let's see if we have a good description

Technically The Nikon 18-200 VR wasn't decent either.
He was an older middle aged lens who kept getting
himself into soft focus, but his PHOTOSHOP always got
him out of it. RIGHT on."
The same could be said about the 18-55 kit lens that you use...
I don't get it.
I don't get why you you're set on spoiling the fun of another
photographer who enjoys the new gear he bought.

I've used the best, from a Nikon system, through hasselblad
and Mamiya 6x7, to Sinar view camera -- yet I enjoy the Nikkor
18-200 VR.

I don't expect it to be as good as the trio of pro zooms
(14-24 / 24-70 / 70-200), but it is a super versatile decent lens.

Considering the price (and size, and weight...) difference between
those 3 and the 18-200, the 18-200 is a marvel.

"MacGyver"
PLEASE. Spend more time in front of TV and less time outside with your camera.

Wish Canon made a 18-200 :(

Hey. thanks for the input, even though it was a bit harsh... But ya i also bough the "sling" carry bag which allows me to carry both my film camera (with the 55mm lens) and the d200(with the 18-200) this way if i want ultra sharp pictures i can bust out my good old zenit, and for everything else i can just take out the d200.

In addition im glad to sacrifice some sharpness for versatility because most of the pictures i will be taking will be on trips, hikes... and ill be with other people that will not want to wait 20 minutes every time i want to take a shot because i have to fumble around with lenses.

But yes when i start to do some planed photo shoots where i know i'll have all day to get things perfect, then i will prolly invest in some solid prime lenses.

I like the lens.... It has performed well for me. There is distortion at both 18mm and 200mm but, knowing that, you can work around it. :)

YOU don't like it. Other people do, and love it! Therefore you speak only for yourself.

I am not talking about personal opinion. I am taling about FACT the 18-200 from every review I have read AND just knowing the technical limitations of this kind of focal range the fact is this lens is not sharp. It is also a fact that you can get 2 primes (a 50mm 1.8 and an 85 1.8) for the same or less than the price of this lens.

Here is my review: the 18-200mm VR is plenty sharp.
Wonder what y'all are doing wrong. :)

I don't know - people poo-pooh'd my choice of a Canon 17-85 IS for weddings etc. I think it does the job well. I can correct slight aberrations at each end with my photo editor. It gives the range I want without having to change lenses. Combined with a 580EX, it's brilliant. By the way, I shoot weddings etc for a living.

If the 18-200 is great for the OP and he's happy with it then I'm happy for him. The key to great photography is not the price of the gear. It's not about how perfect the gear is either. It's about what you can do with your gear. Even the humble and much maligned Canon 18-55 kit lens can take fantastic photos as long as you work within its limitations. I've seen the great shots that can be done with it and have taken great shots with it myself.

Here is my review: the 18-200mm VR is plenty sharp.
Wonder what y'all are doing wrong. :)

Well see here's the thing I don't own the lens so I am doing nothing wrong with it. I would not waste y money on that abomination.

Well see here's the thing I don't own the lens.

Sorry man, but the fact that you don't own this lens or use it makes it hard for you to give an objective opinion.

I have read plenty of good reviews on this lens

I DO own this lens, as well as the Nikon 24-70 & 70-200. No this lens is not as sharp, but for the price I have no problem with it. I usually have it on one of my bodies at all time.

If you want a good zoom range and a mid performance lens, it is great. Yes you could get some primes for the same price, but if this if for your own personal use you will like it.

Just go out and shoot and enjoy it!!

I am not talking about personal opinion. I am taling about FACT the 18-200 from every review I have read AND just knowing the technical limitations of this kind of focal range the fact is this lens is not sharp. It is also a fact that you can get 2 primes (a 50mm 1.8 and an 85 1.8) for the same or less than the price of this lens.

Sharpness is not a standarized term. Perhaps this is where the argument is coming from, as your definition of acceptable sharpness is different than from those who own it. To some, a sacrifice of image quality to create versatility is not only okay, but preferred. I think we need to understand that and accept that MANY people enjoy this lens. It is, after all, what makes the owner happy.

To the OP, I sincerely hope this thread hasn't put a bad taste in your mouth. Its a great lens, and although it may not be the sharpest lens out there, its great in low light (the VR works very well), and you can take photos of pretty much ANYTHING with it. I am very jealous!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back