JUst bought the Hummer of cameras and Mcgiver of Lenses

I happen to like and get great shots with my 18-70 kits. Reason I am reading is I can't decide whether to order the d300 body only or with the 'kit 18-200'. I already have the 18-70, 55-200VR and 50mm 1.8. Unfortunately I can't afford $1,000's of dollars in glass!

Thanks Alpha that's a better way to put what I have been saying all along. Ukreal you say you can't afford "$1000's of dollars in glass" but you plan to buy a D300?. Really the best thing for you all around is go out and get that "$100's of dollars in glass" instead of a D300 body and get your body later. Doing something like this you would not have to worry about buying the "kit 18-200" and you can later get the next gen body.

I know what you mean, however, the reason I want to upgrade is because the d70s is 6.1 megapixels and I wold like to make 24x36 prints on a consistent basis..
so I guess my question really is...
body only or body and lens?

24x36 prints? How sharp? I'd say you need a much higher res sensor if you want sharp prints that big.

Ugh, stop your totally uninformed trolling JIP. I find you have a tendency to troll whenever you post - all you seem to do is criticize more practical gear.

Have fun with your great camera and lens, scyzoryk_o4. Have fun :)

Really the best thing for you all around is go out and get that "$100's of dollars in glass" instead of a D300 body and get your body later.

JIP, I think you just add significant number of nemesis here by including the silent owners of D300 so far. You have just undermine the D300 in comparison with fixed lenses.

This is not fun :lol:.

JIP, I think you just add significant number of nemesis here by including the silent owners of D300 so far. You have just undermine the D300 in comparison with fixed lenses.

This is not fun :lol:.

No not true I think the D300 is an excellent camera and I plan to buy one myself soon but as you can see from my sig I made a different decision. The thing I was trying to tell the poster was if he claims he cannot afford decent glass he really can if he pares back a little on his body. I can care less about what people think about my opinion if you don't understand that you are better off buying fast lenses and a better body you have alot to learn.

actually, I am a she! But I digress. I am going to be getting the D300 at some point soon. My question is should I get the body only (considering my lens list) or the body with the 18-200 kit lens? I love my D70s but it is only 6.1MP and I need to print bigger...even the cheaper slr's these days have at least 8mp's. So any advice would be appreciated. Also, if I did print, say, a 16x20 from my d70s, would it be crap (we are talking about a great exposed photo)???

I must say, an objective review of this lens would be one based on optics and construction alone, not personal opinion. Based on its 182mm focal length range and 16 elements in 12 groups, I don't believe anyone could reasonably conclude that it's sharp.

Personal preference is another thing altogether. But let's not pretend that believing it's sharp obviates clearly defined technical details that indicate otherwise.
:thumbdown:

An "objective" review of lens performance looks at LENS PERFORMANCE, not number of elements, not zoom ratio, not how complicated it is, or its construction quality. You can't judge a lens just based on paper specs.

actually, I am a she! But I digress. I am going to be getting the D300 at some point soon. My question is should I get the body only (considering my lens list) or the body with the 18-200 kit lens? I love my D70s but it is only 6.1MP and I need to print bigger...even the cheaper slr's these days have at least 8mp's. So any advice would be appreciated. Also, if I did print, say, a 16x20 from my d70s, would it be crap (we are talking about a great exposed photo)???
I've made 20x30" prints from my D40 and they look great. The difference between 6MP and 10MP at 20x30" print sizes is only 100dpi vs 125dpi, which really isn't a big deal. If you plan to do that regularly though, sure get a 10-12MP sensor, but you'd probably only really be able to tell the difference viewing very close, like a foot or two, which isn't how anybody really views nearly 3 foot wide prints.

I would also recommend having a close look at the Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 (as well as the Tamron and Tokina equivalents). I haven't shot any of them but they all review well and they are all very sharp. They are about 1/3 of the price of the Nikon 17-55mm f2.8, which makes them very good value. They don't have the build quality of the Nikon but the optics are of a similar high standard.

For me personally this is the focal range that I shoot in most and that is why I recommend having a look at these lenses, of course your style may well be different.

Most reactions

Back