Just got my 1st circular polarizer, any tips?

Man, I get sick of heroes like u!! I'm asking for forum members opinions and articles they see as important u dip****!! If I wanted to wade through a million google results I woulda done it myself SIR!!

lol I think they both could have used an extra cup of coffee :p.

My tip would be don't put your CPL on too tight!! They can be a pain to take off some times lol

Perhaps I am wearing cranky pants too...albiet tacky cranky pants...

Perhaps I am projecting my crankiness over the "bad" response to my photos...

I'm stating my opinion...and douche-like I hope I'm not, but if I was, I will take care not to do so in the future...I apologize...

But, and I say that in the rudest possible manner, I am strawberry-scented :sexywink:

I agree I made a douche-like response, for which I apologize Derrel just got upset. Thanks for the links I do appreciate it!! Have a good day everyone, it's almost 60 out right now so I'm gonna mess around with this polarizer and maybe do a HDR photo of the mountains that I'll post later.

60??? Man, send some warmth up here...it 10 degrees

I look forward to seeing some more work of yours, have a ton of fun out there...

Be sure if you manual focus you don't accidentally rotate the cpl with the focus ring.

Done that more than once...so now I use my reverse-lens-macro adapter over the cpl so it has a bigger ring to turn...maybe I should post an image of an example??? gotta take one first somehow...

Here's a Circular Polarizer tip: do not always think that eliminating reflections will improve every scene. Particularly on photos of ponds, creeks, and rivers, eliminating the reflections on the surface of the water can often remove the diffuse highlight that visually clues us in to the water's surface, and at times, will reveal unappealing riverbottom structure, or will almost totally eliminate the "water" in the river or creek or pond! Using a polarizer from above when shooting down onto a creek, river, or pond can often eliminate a great deal of reflection, due to the angle of the water in relation to the sky,and the lens-to-subject angle. This negative effect is most-pronounced on low-water, clear-water streams and ponds that are fairly shallow; during the high-water period, or on colored water (glacial streams, etc) this effect is not so negative.

Here's another tip: the circular polarizer can be used as a sort of neutral density filter when shooting flash photos outside in bright light.

Y'know.... sometimes asking a question is as much about the conversation as the answer.

;)

(I'm just staying busy this morning trying to find threads that were opened withing the last week...)

Y'know.... sometimes asking a question is as much about the conversation as the answer.

So true...

Thanks Derrel for that great advice...I never though about the water reflection and cpls...I use one mostly to kill reflections from non-metallic objects other than water...so I'll keep what you said in mind....

WHO'S the dip***t!?

That's like asking 'would someone with nothing better to do tell me how to use my camera? I personally don't care to read the instruction manual that came with it, and I don't want to waste MY time googling - you all can do it for me!'

Here's how you use a circular polarizer - TURN IT in a CIRCULAR motion and see what happens!!!

Here's how you use a circular polarizer - TURN IT in a CIRCULAR motion and see what happens!!!

That's EXACTLY what I did when I got mine. Sat outside facing my car and took multiple shots while turning it to see the differences. Sometimes (MOST of the times), it's better to just go out and experiment than read (or experiment, then read up on questions you had after testing).

The whole point of "googling", in my opinion, is to find out the answer to a question you may have about a given subject.

The whole point of a forum is for people to gather together to discuss different topics relating to the theme of the forum.

The reason I would come to a forum to ask a question I could have "googled" instead is so that, yeah, I don't have to wade through a bunch of possibly baloney answers when I could come to a place that is dedicated to learning, and is filled with people that have knowledge about my inquiry, which, correct me if I'm mistaken, is what this forum is all about.

Why have a forum at all then? Why not just glob onto google for everything we need?

So, if people with questions (even supposedly simple ones) shouldn't come here, but use google instead, what would be a better use for this forum?

Most reactions

Back