Just My tripod?

Inst!nct

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I bought a tripod for about 60 bucks about a month ago, and realized theres some parts of it that aren't great, i havent really ever "met" an expensive tripod, but tell me plz if this would be fixed by dishing out more money?

I point my lens more then 10 degrees down and they completely drop until they hit the tripod.
When i shoot vertically its crooked, like it shoots instead of a 90 degree, shoots at a 110.
The "dont turn" nob doesnt work great.

If it is my ****ty tripod, could i have some recommendations on other ones under 200? is that good reasonable price?

I paid ~45 for mine at Bestbuy. Has a built-in level which is fairly accurate. If it's tipping with a heavier lens, you might need to tighten one of the adjustment knobs. If it's as tight as it goes, then it might be defective, or just a piece of crap.

60 should buy you a cheap, "ok" tripod, though I probably would not be happy to mount something as big as you have on it though. A Tripod I have here of similar value has a mount that would be good for a P&S, but nto for an SLR with grip & "Big Lens".

Complete Tripods with Heads

I quite like ball-head mounts over pan-head. They allow me to be a little more creative. My be worth paying a little bit for a hot-show mounted level as well.

60 should buy you a cheap, "ok" tripod, though I probably would not be happy to mount something as big as you have on it though. A Tripod I have here of similar value has a mount that would be good for a P&S, but nto for an SLR with grip & "Big Lens".

Complete Tripods with Heads

I quite like ball-head mounts over pan-head. They allow me to be a little more creative. My be worth paying a little bit for a hot-show mounted level as well.

tyvm, will definetly look into that, i believe i have a sunpak from bestbuy :p, impulse purchase :er:

Check out the Slik line, I use the 700DX pro and it's been great paired with a Manfrotto head.

is there any way to buy the thing i see on many canon lens over 500 that is like a tripod attachment in the middle of the lens?

the lens has a plate for the tripod.

in my experience people spend as little as possible on a tripod and continue to buy one over and over again, spending much more over the years than they would if they spent the money for a good if not great tripod that will last a life time.

A good tripod is just as important as having good glass.

Like Ann has mentioned here you are already considering at least tripod #2.

$200 will get you a decent set of tripod legs and you'll need to spend another $150 or so for a good head. So figure $350 minimum to get a tripod that will do the job for you for years to come. That's less than the cost of most fast glass. Watch the weight ratings. I like to have a weight rating at least 3x the most weight I expect I will ever put on the legs and head.

The top brands in tripods are Giottos, Manfrotto, Gitzo. Slik has some decent stuff. I keep looking at Benro's tripods and am impressed with what I see.

A good tripod is just as important as having good glass.

Like Ann has mentioned here you are already considering at least tripod #2.

$200 will get you a decent set of tripod legs and you'll need to spend another $150 or so for a good head. So figure $350 minimum to get a tripod that will do the job for you for years to come. That's less than the cost of most fast glass. Watch the weight ratings. I like to have a weight rating at least 3x the most weight I expect I will ever put on the legs and head.

The top brands in tripods are Giottos, Manfrotto, Gitzo. Slik has some decent stuff. I keep looking at Benro's tripods and am impressed with what I see.
ahh alright, tyvm, then i guess i need to spend more money on that, just don't feel like a tripod is worth the 350 dollars, but i guess i have to, because like you said, dont want to keep spending money, thanks for the answers

so you cant buy one of those lens plates for the lens itself?

the lens comes with the plate it is not someone one adds one.

i understand your feelings about spending 350 dollars for a tripod , but be glad it isn't 800. Really, it will out live you and be worth the money.

I must have at least 4 tripods of various heights and weights and at least 3 monopods and i don't regret investing the money in tools that make my life easier in the field.

You're probably only visuallizing the tripod being used with the camera up at your eye level when you're standing.

Visit www.giottos.com They have images of tripods setup in differnt configurations.

A good tripod will have a reversable center column so you can have the camera near ground level so you can look through it while you're laying on your belly, and everywhere in between, and the capability for the center column to be used like a boom, with the camera well off the tripod's centline.

A good tripod will allow one or more of the legs to be at a very different angle to accomodate uneven terrain and the legs will have padded grips so you don't have to touch beare metal.

A good tripod will have a weight hook so it's stability can be enhanced when it's windy.

A good trpod will come with a tool kit, padded bag, and carry straps.

Like Ann I have a couple of tripods and several monopods. In my studio I have a camera stand. That's kind of like a tripod on steroids, not really portable but rock solid. The one I have goes for $3500, but it can have two cameras mounted on it at the same time. :thumbup:

Last edited:
I love my manfrotto 190xprob with 486rc2 head. Great setup and I think its at a pretty good price. If you're taller maybe consider the 055xprob legs they are taller and can hold more weight. GL
tj

:thumbup: for the hogan piece

something i always tell my students about tripods; people want three things, stable, light weight and cheap. my reply pick two , you can't have all three

I love my manfrotto 190xprob with 486rc2 head. Great setup and I think its at a pretty good price. If you're taller maybe consider the 055xprob legs they are taller and can hold more weight. GL
tj

Yes! No way should you be spending more than 200 bucks on a tripod and a ball-head. The only upgrade I would want for my tripod is to outfit it with a level, and for the head to have separate controls for the pan and tilt. My combo that I have can go anywhere, get hit, get dirty, and get fitted with a D300 and 80-200 lens and not think twice about it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back