Just received Vello extension tubes

MiFleur

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was not too sure about it, I had ordered the Vello battery grip for my camera and had to return it. The extension tube are fine. With the 36 mm extension, my 70-200 F2.8 VRII autos focus works seamlessly.
I am still trying to understand how much more magnification it gives. Thanks to Tiredon in another post I got the info. Just have to re-read this and let it sink in.
It is a little hard to put and remove the lens, but hey for the price, I will take my time! It is a good deal for those interested.

squirrels

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Mine are a different brand but for them removal is all about pushing the little silver knob the right way (away from the lens).

OP
MiFleur

MiFleur

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Mine are a different brand but for them removal is all about pushing the little silver knob the right way (away from the lens).

Thanks Squirrels

cgipson1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Sometimes the cheaper knock-offs are built to less stringent requirements.. which means they may be not as polished, or the dimensions may be off slightly. They might require a little more force.. but will probably eventually wear in. I would be careful to support that lens by the lens, and not by the body when you have the extension tubes mounted. I wouldn't trust them to support the weight, myself.

Hanging a very expensive and heavy pro lens on something like that... I would be very careful. Those tubes are probably not designed for that kind of stress.

OP
MiFleur

MiFleur

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Sometimes the cheaper knock-offs are built to less stringent requirements.. which means they may be not as polished, or the dimensions may be off slightly. They might require a little more force.. but will probably eventually wear in. I would be careful to support that lens by the lens, and not by the body when you have the extension tubes mounted. I wouldn't trust them to support the weight, myself.

Hanging a very expensive and heavy pro lens on something like that... I would be very careful. Those tubes are probably not designed for that kind of stress.

Thanks Charlie, a very good observation I would not want anything to happen to my lens, but instinctively it is what I have been doing. I often use a monopod and that helps to support the weight of the lens, so the stress is the weight of the camera but the strap is around my neck.

I appreciate your advice!

TimothyJinx

Reaction score
Website
www.timothymillerphotography.com
Photos OK to edit
Congrats, MiFleur! Like I said in another post, I have the Vello tubes and, while they are plastic, they seem pretty well made. Especially for the price. And like you, any time I'm using my 70-200, my monopod, my tripod or my hands are always supporting the lens!

Most reactions

ClickASnap

New Topics