Just received Vello extension tubes

MiFleur

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was not too sure about it, I had ordered the Vello battery grip for my camera and had to return it. The extension tube are fine. With the 36 mm extension, my 70-200 F2.8 VRII autos focus works seamlessly.
I am still trying to understand how much more magnification it gives. Thanks to Tiredon in another post I got the info. Just have to re-read this and let it sink in.
It is a little hard to put and remove the lens, but hey for the price, I will take my time! It is a good deal for those interested.

Mine are a different brand but for them removal is all about pushing the little silver knob the right way (away from the lens).

Mine are a different brand but for them removal is all about pushing the little silver knob the right way (away from the lens).

Thanks Squirrels

Sometimes the cheaper knock-offs are built to less stringent requirements.. which means they may be not as polished, or the dimensions may be off slightly. They might require a little more force.. but will probably eventually wear in. I would be careful to support that lens by the lens, and not by the body when you have the extension tubes mounted. I wouldn't trust them to support the weight, myself.

Hanging a very expensive and heavy pro lens on something like that... I would be very careful. Those tubes are probably not designed for that kind of stress.

Sometimes the cheaper knock-offs are built to less stringent requirements.. which means they may be not as polished, or the dimensions may be off slightly. They might require a little more force.. but will probably eventually wear in. I would be careful to support that lens by the lens, and not by the body when you have the extension tubes mounted. I wouldn't trust them to support the weight, myself.

Hanging a very expensive and heavy pro lens on something like that... I would be very careful. Those tubes are probably not designed for that kind of stress.

Thanks Charlie, a very good observation I would not want anything to happen to my lens, but instinctively it is what I have been doing. I often use a monopod and that helps to support the weight of the lens, so the stress is the weight of the camera but the strap is around my neck.

I appreciate your advice!

Congrats, MiFleur! Like I said in another post, I have the Vello tubes and, while they are plastic, they seem pretty well made. Especially for the price. And like you, any time I'm using my 70-200, my monopod, my tripod or my hands are always supporting the lens!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back