just simple thoughts

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by pocketshaver, May 12, 2019.

1. Fred von den Berg

Fred von den Berg TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Just because a camera body has lots of different options, doesn't mean you must use them. You can if you want or feel you need to. Lower end/entry level bodies perhaps require you to sift through the menu to find what you want to change/set, whilst more expensive/serious kit will have separate buttons for the important/more useful stuff. You pays your money, and you takes your choice.

2. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    DSLRs are jack-of-all-trades tools.

They offer you an option to point and shoot - just flick the camera into auto mode and off you go. Nothing more needed than the shutter button and a way to transfer the photos to your computer. By default almost all are sold shooting in JPEG mode anyway so you don't even have to go into the menu to turn off RAW. They also tend to have most of their JPEG editing features enabled by default as well - again they are sold and setup pretty much ready to go for the point and shoot photographer.

Meanwhile they also offer you the ability to customise all the controls and settings. You can set it to RAW mode; choose which auto-editing features are enabled; adjust the exposure; change the focusing system priority and function; change the focusing mode; adjust its responsiveness to movement etc.... You can do loads of things which, whilst confusing at first, you can learn one by one. You can then have the luxury of choice.

You can choose to stay in auto or go into full manual and all the myriad of modes inbetween.

The choice is up to the photographer.

Now bridge and point and shoot cameras are even more setup for the automatic shooter. They often rely on auto so much that they have scene modes for typical situations which you access through a menu; whilst their ability to change settings (ergo manual mode) is often limited or more fiddly as you have to go through menus to access - whilst DSLRS have wheels for most (entry level tend to have one wheel that does both aperture and shutter; mid to advanced have a wheel for each of those and all tend to change ISO on a fast to click menu setting).

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. JBPhotog

JBPhotog No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    As a foundation of the argument that digital cameras are so complicated compared to film cameras, ask a working pro if they have seen a decline in business since the advent and adoption of digital cameras, the answer is precisely 180 degrees from your conclusion. Digital cameras have opened up photography to vastly more people to the point that it has had a major impact on the commercial photography industry. Adding to the fact that post processing technology has grown exponentially, art buyers have lowered their standards and their fees since the black art of film ruled the day.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Ysarex

Ysarex Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Well damn! I wouldn't have given up film if I knew it was a black art. I always wanted to practice the black arts!

Joe

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. JBPhotog

JBPhotog No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    LOL

6. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    DSC_0392_Spencer with EOS 20D copy.jpg My three-year-old had no trouble using the Canon 20D ... but he preferred his mother's Nikon D40...

• Like Like x 2
  7. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit

Negative fantasy, meet happy reality.

• Like Like x 1
  8. JonFZ300

JonFZ300 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

I love that pic Derrel. Every time I see it I try to come up with a funny slogan.

"Oh this one is going to need some split toning, the blues are too saturated."

/offtopic

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1