scanners and film size

pocketshaver

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
How do the film negative scanners handle different sizes of film?

Just how do they react to using 35mm negatives shot on a half frame camera?

Generally flatbed scanners will have trays of different sizes that hold the film and the tray sits on the scanner. Some can accommodate wet scanning where you put solution on the film and sandwich it between two sheets of glass and the scanner scans the entire surface and you crop what you want.

For drum scanners, you basically tape the negatives to the drum and the machine will know where the image is.

You're going to buy a film camera and film, set up a darkroom, develop film yourself and then scan the film to make digital images? If you're not making paper prints, why not just go digital?

In my old Minolta film scanner I have to select the area that I want scanned, so it's possible that you could select half of the frame meaning select a half frame image

Generally flatbed scanners will have trays of different sizes that hold the film and the tray sits on the scanner. Some can accommodate wet scanning where you put solution on the film and sandwich it between two sheets of glass and the scanner scans the entire surface and you crop what you want.

For drum scanners, you basically tape the negatives to the drum and the machine will know where the image is.

You're going to buy a film camera and film, set up a darkroom, develop film yourself and then scan the film to make digital images? If you're not making paper prints, why not just go digital?

I agree about the film camera comment. I thought that
I would do the same thing get a ff film canon and scan images... spent ages looking into it and at the end of the day I would have been better getting the canon 5dmk3 Yes I get the nastalga of film and think I d go back to it but the DSLR has so many advantages

Most reactions

New Topics

Back