Just some pics

Evertking

How do I turn this thing on?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello....
Do you think attending a workshop is a waste of time and money??
2a91f0i.jpg

zjctqc.png

210hwea.jpg

I don't think we can ever learn enough about any thing we really enjoy. Knowledge will only enhance the pleasure and experience. #2 is an outstanding photo. I like the way you have highlighted his face as if he is just emerging from shadows. All this from a novice hobbyist, so take with a grain of salt.

Several years ago I joined an informal group of carvers. We met at the studio/workshop of a master craftsman who did outstanding commission work. The knowledge I gleaned from him working beside me was invaluable. He knew not only all the technical aspects of carving, but instinctively knew how to read the grain, and how to hold a chisel for each precise cut. He could explain, show and if necessary lay his hands on yours to guide you through a cut.

The problem as I see it is not if a workshop will be beneficial, but in determing if the ones leading the workshop are qualified. Like the internet, many of the so called experts, aren't necessarily qualified. Do your due diligence in researching those giving the workshop, and go for it.

Thanks for the advice. I dont know anyone around my are that is into photography so I'm left with YouTube e and books. I probably have spent more on education than i have gear , yet, i i still feel stuck. I want to be amazing!!! Lol.. I'm sure we all want to be amazing, right? I know it will take time and a ton of shooting.. i justt think, time with a actual person would pay off, i could be wrong.

@Evertking I'm in a rural area with not a lot of opportunities as well. There are some workshops in cities within an hours drive from me, that I've considered. As I explained above getting direction from someone qualified is very helpful.

Thanks for the advice. I dont know anyone around my are that is into photography so I'm left with YouTube e and books. I probably have spent more on education than i have gear , yet, i i still feel stuck. I want to be amazing!!! Lol.. I'm sure we all want to be amazing, right? I know it will take time and a ton of shooting.. i justt think, time with a actual person would pay off, i could be wrong.

No, having an actual human to help can be invaluable, but sometimes just watching a YouTube video, stopping, rewinding, analyzing is a very effective and cost effective method to learning. Certainly has helped with both my lighting and my golf game..

No, having an actual human to help can be invaluable, but sometimes just watching a YouTube video, stopping, rewinding, analyzing is a very effective and cost effective method to learning. Certainly has helped with both my lighting and my golf game..

By the way, your editing skills are excellent, just saying..

@Evertking I love your work and processing - there's something about it that lets me immediately know who took them. I would definitely recommend attending a workshop if it sounds like the right opportunity. Even if you don't learn anything groundbreaking, it may be helpful just collaborating with other people, observing how the instructor does things, or picking up little tips here and there. Just have some idea of what you are looking to get out of it beforehand. I attended a full-day portrait lighting workshop last year and I don't think I learned much I didn't already know, at least on paper. But I left a lot more confident in my setup and workflow, and learned a lot about what works and doesn't work for me, as well as a handful of tips and tricks I use in every shoot. Just ask lots of questions and be sure to try something new!

Just started so I can't give a recommendation, but this is a series of free 18 one hour lectures on photography from Samford University in Birmingham. The syllabus says it's geared more toward the intermediate photographer but can also be helpful to more advanced. I shall see.

Last edited:
. I want to be amazing

An afterthought to an above post, Photograpy like most artistic endeavors is a broad term. The ability to be amazing decreases with how far you try to spread out. You might consider defining more narrowly where you really want to be amazing, and concentrate on those areas.

Those are some very nice pictures. I think the last one is my favorite because your son(?) seems to glow with some kind of mischievous energy. As to workshops, I would suggest getting reviews prior to taking any, if possible. I've attended some that were less than favorable, but in any class/workshop/clinic, I agree that there's always SOMETHING to learn, even if it's what NOT to do.

Three fantastic portraits!

"I probably have spent more on education than i have gear"--probably why your work is so much better than it otherwise would have been had you allocated your money more toward gear, with less being spent on education.

YOU have made great strides. Your work, as shown here, looks pretty good. Good expressions, good posing, good lighting.

Most reactions

Back