Just starting out with a EOS T2i and need a lens

Phil2k

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

So I have just purchased my first SLR, after a bit of research I went with the Canon Rebel T2i. I decided to get the body only as many people said that the bundled lens isn’t very good and I should purchase separately. I was wondering if I could get some recommendations here.

I tend to shoot mostly landscapes and architecture, so I believe that this means a wide-angle lens is what I should be going for.

One other thing I should add… I saw an inspirational shot in the Picture of the Month Thread:

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/macro-photography/283035-spring-drops.html

This is a type of photography that I also see myself doing in the future. Would this effect my choice of wide-angle lens?

Cheers.

Hi all,

So I have just purchased my first SLR, after a bit of research I went with the Canon Rebel T2i. I decided to get the body only as many people said that the bundled lens isn’t very good and I should purchase separately. I was wondering if I could get some recommendations here.

I tend to shoot mostly landscapes and architecture, so I believe that this means a wide-angle lens is what I should be going for.

One other thing I should add… I saw an inspirational shot in the Picture of the Month Thread:

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/macro-photography/283035-spring-drops.html

This is a type of photography that I also see myself doing in the future. Would this effect my choice of wide-angle lens?

Cheers.

Well, you want to do ultra wide landscape/architecture stuff, but you also have an interest in macro. Frankly, you can't do both with the same lens. I'd suggest the Sigma 10-20mm, but you could get a wider lens than that. The Canon 100mm f/2.8L Macro is pretty nice too.

HI I have a Canon EOS Rebel XS and I have the kit lens 18-55mm, along with the Canon 55-250mm But I really enjoy my Sigma 70-300mm & Sigma 18-250. I also have just started getting used to filters too that go along with my lenses. Just remember when you order filters make sure you look at the lens cover for the filter size to attach to your lens. I think Sigma has great lenses , I also order them from Amazon.com and have gotten great deals on them too. The 18-250 is a great lens with Image Stabilizer on it. great for close ups and also for wide angle range with the 18 mm side of it. The only draw back it is a little heavy though. BUT I still enjoy it and have allot of fun with it.

Well, you want to do ultra wide landscape/architecture stuff, but you also have an interest in macro. Frankly, you can't do both with the same lens. I'd suggest the Sigma 10-20mm, but you could get a wider lens than that. The Canon 100mm f/2.8L Macro is pretty nice too.

Thanks o hey tyler. To confirm, you're referring to these two lenses:

Amazon.com: Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras: Electronics

Amazon.com: Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM 1-to-1 Macro Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm actually selling my Sigma 8-16 for $550.. I've only had it since November & it was very gently/sparingly used..

Those macro lenses cost quite a lot! heh

The two recommended lenses from o hey tyler are spot on. For the money the sigma is probably not really beatable. If you find the macro to expensive there are a few cheaper options. They may not be quite as good as the canon but there are very few macro lenses that get bad reviews. Tamron sp 90 and Tokina 100mm at-x are 2 other options of similar focal length but less expensive options

Thanks Jaomul.

So once I have the body and a lens what else should I purchase? I already have several 16gb memory cards and a tripod. Polarizing filters are pretty pointless right? You can do all of that post-shoot editing.

Last edited:
Polarizing filters are pretty pointless right? You can do all of that post-shoot editing.
No, a polarizer is actually very useful and you can't replicate its effects in post processing. Neutral density filters are often irreplaceable as well. All other filters can be replicated in post.

Just wanted to touch on that whole "many people said that the bundled lens isn’t very good" thing, while I'm at it. Yes, the "kit" lenses that come with bodies are horrible, terrible lenses. They only make photos like this:

T_Falls_1247b.jpg

Pittsburgh_Dusk.jpg

Bay_Bridge_Dusk_HDR_0515.jpg

Pigeon_Point_2396.jpg

Good thing you listened to those people who steered you clear of picking up that lens for a song while you were buying the body!!

/sarcasm

Yeah those are some pretty terrible pictures! :lol:

Ok, polarizer and ND filter added.

Most reactions

Back