Just Trying to Improve!

ddbowdoin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I take my work pretty seriously... but I have only learned what I have been able to teach myself through trial and error. I'd love to have a chance to have some formal training but between a lack of equipment/funds and work I have very little free time and capital.

I'd appreciate any feedback.

Dan

5322072182_5b41533c10_b.jpg

5348239634_d7f937ec04_b.jpg

Hey Dan, Honestly expensive gear and training doesn't make a good photographer. No matter what gear you have just take the time to truly know how to use it. Know all the functions and what they actually do.
Most of us were in your position at one point too, I know I was.
The photos are good, I would have changed the pose in the #1. I like the black and white, the only thing I would say is that her hair does blend into the coat. Or it may be the computer im on right now.
Keep up the good work...look forward to seeing more.

You have to think about the whole image ...

In your first shot, the model does not fit with the rest of the environment.
Really think about what the model/subject looks like in respect to the rest of of the shot ... why is this dressed up woman (with a purse) climbing a ladder in an orchard ?

The second shot is better in that respect as the background becomes just a blur ... and the scene looks like a captured moment in her life.

I think the bag in the 1st pic is out of place.

The last post is an excellent shot; really impressed

The first one has a bad posing, that is all

The second one would be far better if the raised hand is trimmed out from the image

All The Best to You

Regards :D

The last post is an excellent shot; really impressed

The first one has a bad posing, that is all

The second one would be far better if the raised hand is trimmed out from the image

All The Best to You

Regards :D

thanks for the kind words, this was taken on the coast of Maine. the model (my girlfriend) has a relation who works for J Jill (clothing company). I was told she sent this off to the art department at corporate and they were "very impressed" and "would have considered it for print if the season had not already passed"

Hey Dan, Honestly expensive gear and training doesn't make a good photographer. No matter what gear you have just take the time to truly know how to use it. Know all the functions and what they actually do.
Most of us were in your position at one point too, I know I was.
The photos are good, I would have changed the pose in the #1. I like the black and white, the only thing I would say is that her hair does blend into the coat. Or it may be the computer im on right now.
Keep up the good work...look forward to seeing more.

thanks for the advice! I've tried my best to stay positive and keep at it. This place is awesome, I don't know another person who even owns a DSLR.

You have to think about the whole image ...

In your first shot, the model does not fit with the rest of the environment.
Really think about what the model/subject looks like in respect to the rest of of the shot ... why is this dressed up woman (with a purse) climbing a ladder in an orchard ?

The second shot is better in that respect as the background becomes just a blur ... and the scene looks like a captured moment in her life.

yes, I agree that the idea of a dressed up woman in an apple orchard is absurd... but this is yuppy New England. People here garden in 100 dollar vineyard vine wide whale cords with pink ducks embroided all over them.

I think for the area its fitting... other parts of the country, not so much

Well, the world wide web has a lot of information available. And your local library probably has 50 to 100 books about photography. I would suggest going to the library and looking into some books on how to photograph people, like any of the various Kodak-produced books, or the excellent John Hedgecoe photography books. Like the apple orchard photo for example; the purse seems odd...but the worst error is the way you've used the light that was present...you need to be able to see "light"...the Hedgecoe books are very much geared toward teaching the beginner how to see the "light" that is around him...

here's an example....not a particularly great photo, but then, I do not typically have access to an apple orchard...but on this day I did...we were near an apple orchard, just like the one you were in...I did not use a ladder as a prop, but instead an apple, right off the tree...and, the woman is also wearing a print, summer dress...I tried to convey what the "light" was like in the orchard...

original.jpg

Well, the world wide web has a lot of information available. And your local library probably has 50 to 100 books about photography. I would suggest going to the library and looking into some books on how to photograph people, like any of the various Kodak-produced books, or the excellent John Hedgecoe photography books. Like the apple orchard photo for example; the purse seems odd...but the worst error is the way you've used the light that was present...you need to be able to see "light"...the Hedgecoe books are very much geared toward teaching the beginner how to see the "light" that is around him...

here's an example....not a particularly great photo, but then, I do not typically have access to an apple orchard...but on this day I did...we were near an apple orchard, just like the one you were in...I did not use a ladder as a prop, but instead an apple, right off the tree...and, the woman is also wearing a print, summer dress...I tried to convey what the "light" was like in the orchard...

original.jpg

Thanks for the tip... I know what you mean about the light, I'll also have to check out those books.

The first photo would be better if there is a better pose. I guess it's because she is wearing a dress and the pose doesn't suit her floral dress. Need a more demure pose. Haha.

Keep up the good work anyway :)

Most reactions

Back