K, bite my head off...

JeffieLove

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know it's coming...

Before I get into what my head is going to be bit off for... I am planning on asking a pro if they would be willing to mentor me. The pro that I am looking at does basically what I want to do in photography. Portraiture (family, children, maternity, newborn, etc) and weddings (although I'm not positive if I want to do weddings in the long run or not)... My question here is... How exactly do you approach a pro about possibly being a mentor? I currently have no "education" in photography except for what I have learned on my own, and I only have a basic understanding of off camera flash... Nothing with studio lighting at all... I start classes in 3 weeks and my first actual photography class is included... What should I say to the guy when I call him and ask him if he would be interested in mentoring?

The reason I ask is because a friend of mine is getting married in September, she came to me (brace yourself, here it comes) and asked me if I would do her wedding. She has seen my work with my kids and another friend's family and she likes my style. I'm SCARED SHXTLESS lol. I know there are no retakes with weddings. I plan on doing a TON TON TON of research, but this is also why I want to get into a mentoring type relationship with a pro who does weddings so I can see what they do, how it's done, and all that good stuff... I don't want to go into this blind and ruin it for her. I did tell her that she would be better off getting a pro and paying them rather than me doing it for free and her not liking any of the pictures... She said she would be okay with it... Even though she is my friend, I told her I would write up an agreement between the two of us that I am not a pro, will not promise pro quality, will do my best, and can not be sued for lack of quality in the wedding photos. She said that was fine. So I am covering my ass and doing this "waiver" type thing, but I want to be able to go into it knowing what I'm doing (for the most part at least) and not ruin this for her. I would feel TERRIBLE if I did.

So... that was the "bite my head off part"... But I really need to know how to approach a pro about being a mentor. That's my MAIN goal right now is figuring out what exactly to say and bite the bullet and call :)

Be gentle... I love you guys :) lol

a gary fong lightsphere is a good place to start in terms of equipment!

Can't bite your head off. You did the smart thing, at least. The "contract". :thumbup:

Look into rental of a second body, and the lens/es you will need that you don't have.
If you plan/ned on using your 18-55, I'd rent a better one. That lens is soft.

Hmm.. hadn't made plans on which lens(es) to use...

Was planning on the 70-300 for some stuff, 50mm for other stuff...

I have to see if there is even anywhere around here that I can rent equipment.. The only camera store I have nearby is a ritz and they aren't allowed to deal with canon stuff anymore :(

Will see if my school rents or loans equipment to students though...

a gary fong lightsphere is a good place to start in terms of equipment!

would this "kit" work?

LSUSTART Gary Fong Universal Lightsphere Starter System UC/UP, with Universal Flash Head Widths

I can make something like this happen... It's only $100... My next student loan check comes in a couple months ;) lol

www.strobist.com - I just finished reading lighting 101...incredible read.

Strobist: Lighting 101: Bare-Tube-Style Lighting - Omni bounce DIY style. Worth looking into for learning before you drop a bill on something you may not like nor know how to use.

+

I think you did the right thing too, no need to bite your head off. :thumbup:

I have waited a week to post something about this because I was scared to death I was going to get all those "first wedding and not ready" lectures lol

like I said..

I love you guys :) lol

bitter - I crack up every time still :) lol

:gun:

At least you have a disclaimer in writing. Your friend will only have herself to blame if things go wrong.

Ok, so any advice on how to approach a pro about mentoring?

I suggest just ask, and most likely if this person could use some free help you both will benefit. Be straight up and business like. I'm not sure if you posted on this thread but its a good one, might help calm you down some Wedding Shoot ::FacePalm::
Good luck.:thumbup:

Stage one - get a list of your top 40 shots based around the pro work you are looking to do - so portrait stuffs and such, maybe one flower shot if its very good (flowers appear at weddings ;)).

Stage two - cut that 40 down to 20

Stage three - you have a portfolio now - put them together in a set on flickr/your website. Printing them is also a viable move and the pro might very well want to see prints in person - so print them as best you can. You can certianly use external printing labs for the process rather than a cheapy home printer.

As for approaching the pro there are a few things to consider;
Ghosting: You might have more luck asking if you can ghost them at a wedding - typically you would simply use it as a day to shoot and experiment without any burden over your head if you messup shots. It lets you make mistakes whilst getting experience without harming anyone.

Mentoring: This would typically include the above but with added instruction from the photographer. In the field might be more tricky to give in the heat of the moment but certainly there would and should be interaction before and after to prepare and assess your results.

Note that both of these might come at a price - that price being that the photographer takes a cut from any sales if they decide to use your work from the wedding. This is a very grey area and one where you have to negociate for something that benefits you both - clearly any sales will be going through the pro and not from yourself alone (you are not there to undercut them) and any cut of the cost (or even the full profit) that they take I would (personally) consider viable tendor for their mentoring fees.

Best things though are to arm yourself with your portfolio and contact the photographer to make your request.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back