K, more photos for C &C

not sure where to be putting the pics... but the mods haven't piped in yet... so keep doing what you're doing.

have you read any books regarding photography? there's a 2 book series called Digital Photography by Scott Kelby. It's NOT detailed in it's technicality, but it does offer nice tips on how to make pictures look better.

If you like simple (and i mean simple) explanations, then consider looking into these book. Otherwise, just stick to google.

As for landscape pictures taken in portrait, i can't say that there's anything inherently wrong with it. Maybe it just doesn't feel right because the view from our naked eye is normally wider. So looking at a portrait oriented landscape feels unnatural

You're in need of more shadow detail, better tone range, and a polarizer.

I'm kinda wondering why people are posting pics for C&C in the beginners section when there is a section specific to C&C. ;)

I would agree, add fill light in picasa or whatever and bump the contrast. They feel a bit flat to me.

I'm kinda wondering why people are posting pics for C&C in the beginners section when there is a section specific to C&C. ;)

Ya, I didn't realize until late last night that photos weren't supposed to be displayed here, but in the general gallery. I was just a little intimidated displaying my pics in the same forum as the big guys.

Ya, I didn't realize until late last night that photos weren't supposed to be displayed here, but in the general gallery. I was just a little intimidated displaying my pics in the same forum as the big guys.
Dont be or post them in the just for fun I think it is. Oh and using a program to desaturate seem to work better than in camera. I havent tried my D300 yet to see how it does in B&W mode but, I will probably still use CS to go B&W.

Thanks PhotoDonkey for lightening the pics, I do like them. Just wondering if it was me you called he?? LOL, 'cause I'm a she:D.

Probably was me. I'm a moron that way.

Seriously, though, Picasa's "Add Fill Light" feature has fixed alot of my underexposed photos.

That's really about all I use it for, but it's a really nice feature.

It can be downloaded for free here.

I think you've received lots of good criticism so far, but something stands outs to me that no one has mentioned yet (except about #2): All of these seem to have fairly bisected composition, with the possible exception of #1. In two, the trees run right across the center of the frame, and in three, the bridge runs right across the center. While this can work for creating a sense of permanence or immutability, I tend to prefer photos composed with breaks that fall in line with the rule of thirds, meaning that points of interest like the bridge occur at the points or lines created by dividing the frame into thirds both vertically and horizontally.

You asked for criticism and this is my opinion, though I may be the only one. I do like the pictures though, and think they have great potential.

I think you've received lots of good criticism so far, but something stands outs to me that no one has mentioned yet (except about #2): All of these seem to have fairly bisected composition, with the possible exception of #1. In two, the trees run right across the center of the frame, and in three, the bridge runs right across the center. While this can work for creating a sense of permanence or immutability, I tend to prefer photos composed with breaks that fall in line with the rule of thirds, meaning that points of interest like the bridge occur at the points or lines created by dividing the frame into thirds both vertically and horizontally.

You asked for criticism and this is my opinion, though I may be the only one. I do like the pictures though, and think they have great potential.

Thanks elemental, that is the kind of critique I'm wanting (everyone on here has given great advice), and I promise I won't stomp off crying if someone is harsh, it's what I want.

I do tend to forget the rule of thirds, as a matter of fact I am usually so anxious to get the photo that I forget so many things. It is a bit better now that I have a dslr because I can analyze my photo right then and there, but I lack the eye most of you have and usually can't tell why my pictures don't look quite right, which makes it hard sometimes to correct it right away.

Well, think about it. This is the "beginners section". Alot of the people posting here are probably n00bs like me. When I posted my photos for feedback here, I didn't realize that there was another place they should have been posted in.

Yeah, I know "read the rules, read the FAQ". Whatever.

When i realized I had posted them in the wrong forum, I wanted to delete my thread and start over, but, unfortunately, the system wouldn't let me delete the thread.

Elemental hit the nail on the head. I also think you need to add some energy to the shots. They are a bit flat and in need of contrast and tone. The darks are not dark enough. You can handle a sky blow out by bracketing and then using PS to take the sky from one shot and put it on a layer in the other shot.
Also your D200 can bracket for you. I have one and it is a wonderful camera though the full frame is starting to call my name....But it is sooooo expensive.

Most reactions

Back