Kinda Newbe...

Kady

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been taking pictures for years, but I consider myself new because I don't share a lot...lol. I'm excited to get some constructive criticism from fellow photographers about my pictures. I have a little stage fright with my pictures, but I love honest constructive criticism and appreciate advice! I'd like to improve in any way that I can. :) So, whaddaya think of these couple?? The right one is my son, Liam. He was born 3 and a half weeks ago. The left one is my precious boy, Bruce. :)

Attachments

• $3 weeks, 3 days.jpg
    $3 weeks, 3 days.jpg
    440.1 KB · Views: 83
  • $Bruce.jpg
    $Bruce.jpg
    814 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Hello there,

Thank you for much for posting these wonderful pictures of both your boys. I really like the one of your son until I maximise it. It seems like the focus is on his left hand, and not his face. I could be wrong but that's what I see.

Otherwise, two lovely photos. From one newbie to another :)

Thank you for your input! You could be right about the focus being off. His hand definitely looks a tad more in focus. :/

Greetings Kady, and since your "kind of" a newbie allow me to be the first to "sort of" welcome you to the forum.. lol.

Ok, dog shot first - big plus here is the vertical orientation. Too many people when they first start out stick with nothing but horizontal for the longest time, and in this case you very wisely chose a vertical orientation here which puts the emphasis on the dog rather than having a lot of background to distract. So great job on the composition there, two thumbs up. It also looks like you actually knelt down and got on an even plane with your subject here rather than shooting down at an angle, again this is something a lot of really new photographers fail to realize is also a good practice so pat yourself on the back for that, it makes for a much better shot.

Now for the downside, it is hard to tell given the picture size but the focus point here would appear to be on the dogs nose, as the eyes seem rather soft by comparison. When your shooting people or animals your best results will come from choosing one of the eyes as your point of focus, since that is what the viewer will tend to look at first.

Thank you for the feedback! :) I did know that focal point should be on the eyes - especially with animals. I'm starting to realize that one of my pitfalls is not paying attention to focal point when actually snapping the shot. I need to work on that definitely!

Thanks again!

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back