Kodak?

craig

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
craigblank.com
A few days ago Kodak announced more job layoffs. What has happened to our beloved company. I blame myself because I shoot 90% digi.

At one point I had felt that they screwed themselves by changing the package design of every single one of there products. What do I know. What are your thoughts???

There will be no more 35mm film (except for b&w) from Kodak in the near future I am positive. Indeed, digital is advanced enough to replace 35mm film for the largest markets. The average consumers and the portrait photographers, etc. In the distant future digital will keep us alive to power their cities...

I'm sure it'll be available on a limited basis. Like cassette tapes are now...

thats sad :(

but for any company to grow, they have to keep moving with the market ... apparently, their customers (or ex-customers) arent feeling any loyalty :p

i hope they dont disapper, what would happen to that "kodak moment"

Kodak is a wonderful company, always stood by their stuff. I really hope nothing happens to them.

I do know they are well diversified in technologies that it will take alot to make them disappear.

Keep in mind that even if 35mm film is no more, they will continue to make larger format films till the sun explodes...

voodoocat said:
Keep in mind that even if 35mm film is no more, they will continue to make larger format films till the sun explodes...

Im sure Kodak will be around for a long time in one form or another.

Ive been told that kodak makes the tips of nuclear devices, they are in the top 10 of the most land owners, including half of saracuse ny, or something like that. I forget the other bits of info about kodak. Oh ya, also theygot one very large building that has one door, and no windows, that has all robots inside, except for one human that keeps things in order, a large warehouse or something like that. :0).

supposedly they're going to switch over to more digital stuff from what i've heard.

If Kodak drops film and darkroom supplies because they can't make enough money off of it, I won't miss them (even though I do love Tmax100). I have always felt that Ilford (for BW) and Fuji (for color) seemed more concerned about their customers and quality, at least in modern times. Once upon a time they were a company of photographers, now they're just accounts, and they want to move the last of the 800 Gold.

Kodak is cutting jobs, and moving overseas. Even companies whose product is in demand are doing that. When is the last time anyone bought a Kodak film camera for serious photography? It was probably a Retina. Although I am looking for a Kodak Tourist II w/ super 800 shutter if anyone stumbles across one in a flea market....

As bigger companies drop items from their traditional lines, smaller niche companies are snatching them up, and continuing to market them. I'm excited at the increase in specialized films and darkroom chemicals available from previously boring (you know, they just used to sell the standard Photo 101 supplies) companies such as Freestyle. 35mm, MF, and LF film will still be available for the rest of my lifetime. Maybe not the wide variety of consumer films, but plenty of the pro and art-market stuff will still be popular enough for someone to sell it. If prices get too high, I'll start an old fogies' photo buying club, and we'll buy in bulk.

As of this writing matt's post counter was on 666. What about T64 and Kodachrome? Deep down inside I know that people are right when they say that Kodak is a dinosaur. The one fact that I do know is that they used to (or still do) own Rochester, NY

craig said:
A few days ago Kodak announced more job layoffs. What has happened to our beloved company. I blame myself because I shoot 90% digi.

Nothing to blame yourself for. The horse driven carriage was replaced by the automobile, just another sign of technology evolution. :)

I feel that Kodak will remain in the 'analog' photography business, if not in 35mm market, at least in the MF, WF, specialized film and by all means chemicals and papers. I'm gonna miss a few of their films though...

When the day comes that Kodak HIE (35 mm infrared film) is no longer made, part of me that loves photography will wither up and die... :cry:

Some of my favorite images are from that film. I'm smitten with it.

Most reactions

Back