D7K

This is the right time..
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
When I first switched from the Sony a7ii back to Nikon and picked up the D850, I knew I wanted to trial it somewhere awesome, I let it sit in the box for days before we took a trip to Krushuna Falls where I first got to use it and see what it could do. I've shared some of those shots previously here.

Well, a year later we returned, The water was a little different and much stronger due to an exceptionally rainy spring but I still managed to get some shots I liked. Here are 2 of them. I know they may not be to everyone's tastes, but hey, that's always going to be the case...

I welcome your C&C.

EDIT: 1 more because it's Friday.

Portrait_Large_Krushuna_2019.jpg
Krushuna_June_19_Waterwall.jpg
Krushuna_June_2019.jpg

Last edited:
While this effect is becoming overused to a point, the light in #2 is so well done, I like it!

Reactions: D7K
While this effect is becoming overused to a point, the light in #2 is so well done, I like it!

I'm a sucker for long exposing water scenes, although I am finding a line when the water is running quick that makes me stop and think, I'll shoot this for 2 seconds instead of 25, I like where possible to keep some detail in the water and unless it's my pure intention for artistic preference, not to completely turn the entire thing to mist (Which, I still do on occasion, but more on purpose now). Still it pains me sometimes to have the 6 STOP CPL and the 10 STOP ND in the bag and think, ah, I'm just going to shoot a couple of seconds :D

That's assuming you mean the Long Expo of water becoming overused..

Yes. I think it creates a beautiful effect, but it's such an easy one to do that every photo with running water seems to have it. I am not taking anything away from your photos, so you know.

Yes. I think it creates a beautiful effect, but it's such an easy one to do that every photo with running water seems to have it. I am not taking anything away from your photos, so you know.

Yeah I totally understand Dean, even the mobile are offering faux LE effects now, For me it's been something I've really wanted to play with for a while, a lot of it with city shooting to kind of just get rid of tourists and stuff, but with the waterfalls (Having spent basically an entire spring shooting them) it lends itself to allowing me to create the kind of dreamy images I feel when I am there with the waterfalls. Where I see it beneficial however I will always shoot some non-long expo and usually do just to see which fit with how I felt there and which is more my preference when creating the final images. (Although it does take sometimes a little bit of a "Slap yourself" moment to take off the filters and shoot without that long expo :D

Just for reference: The first shot here is 4 seconds, the second is 6 seconds and well, yeah... the 3rd is 25 :D

Chris, I think this is another really nice batch. I have yet to try the long water exposure shots so they still appeal to me. Ya gotta love the location! :)

LE are fun to shoot and fun to view. #2 is my fav from this nice set.

Chris, I think this is another really nice batch. I have yet to try the long water exposure shots so they still appeal to me. Ya gotta love the location! :)

Thanks Jeff, I'm not sure it will ever stop appealing to me but I know it's one of those things that people are tiring of, but this is true of many types of photography, for me it's drone shots.

LE are fun to shoot and fun to view. #2 is my fav from this nice set.

That they are - Thanks - #2 for me as well, I like the dreamy feel of that one, although the harshness of #3 still draws me in..

Just want to add to this, I think it's a little bit of a myth that it's super easy to shoot long exposure falls, it takes a very small amount of time or indeed the sun to peek through for a second and light the water and you've lost the highlights and the shot is gone. It's easy to setup and shoot it, but it's not always so easy to shoot it well :)

Very beautiful pics! I borrowed a quote from a movie and took the liberty to make some changes to it so it would pertain to this subject of "milky water pics." I don't mean any disrespect, my aim is to create a different perspective on the matter. A different way to look at this if you will so maybe the never-ending milky water pics will go down a little easier. Pardon the pun.

"What you got ain't nothing new. Photography (original words: this country) is hard on people. You can't stop what's coming. It ain't all waiting on you, that's vanity." --- No Country For Old Men

Most reactions

Back