Landscape photography: the point of using a tripod?

Have you considered adopting or renting a pygmy goat to carry it?

To hell with a goat, I'd rent me a midget and dress him up like a small animal of some sort in case we ran into a bear...

Last time I went hiking, my camera was too heavy, so I didn't bring it. I don't think I need one cause the mental images I got came out just fine. They are by no means HDR but they're good enough for me. Plus I have really fast eyes, so a few grass blades blurring didn't bother me.

On a serious note, you can get a cheap, light weight monopod. I have one and it goes everywhere with me. Although in all fairness, all landscape photography I do is done with a tripod, the monopod would be a good alternative for someone looking to shed the weight of a tripod...

I don't ever have a tripod simply for the fact that I'd have a wife and 2 impatient kids yelling, "Come on Dad!" the whole time.

I think you should pay closer attention to the ads on thephotoforum :)

Just HAPPENED to look up and saw this and thought it was ironic we're talking about the weight of tripods.....

Untitled-1.jpg

~Michael~

Oh any my two cents: Dont' caree the backpack since you can't handle 36 pounds. With all the gear. Maybe you should hike less or workout more? I just can't believe you would hike 15 miles on whatever you call a hike, and then say you can't do almost 40 pounds of gear. OH NO!!

Interesting thread....

I really never see product adds on TPF, just an add for the Brooks School of photography.

This post is a prime example of the idiocy exhibited by some of the posters of this thread. He's completely ignorant of the fact that I don't get "light tripod" adds popping up all over my computer, and the fact that 40 pounds is over 1/5 of my body weight. Then again, your mother probably neglected to teach you any manners.

Holy crap.

Dude, you already "know" you don't need a tripod. So do not bring one.

I'll say it again: Do Not Bring One.

And don't take stuff so personally; nobody is questioning your manhood.

We promise we won't call you a Nancy Boy if you leave the pod at home instead of attaching it to your (probably pink) backpack.

Jon

Your opinion is noted. Keep in mind that I'm not going to sit here shiftless while being insulted by morons.

Your opinion is noted. Keep in mind that I'm not going to sit here shiftless while being insulted by morons.

You know written communications like chat tend to lack the body language and other cues as to when someone is being a complete arschhole and when they're just being polite. Usually it's better to assume people have good intentions.

My pack is alright, but my tripod really is heavy. The light but sturdy ones are quite expensive, not to mention my backpack can't hold a tripod. That means I have to carry it in my hand.

As legendary bicycle component designer & champion mountainbiker Keith Bontrager once said: light, cheap, strong... pick two.

Personally, I never use tripods... ever.

I don't even own one.

I don't really shoot stuff that requires them, but that's me...

What kind of pack do you have? Does it have a frame, or is it the kind of bag you would carry books to school with?

If you have a pack (not a 'book bag'), finding somewhere to put a tripod should be very easy. The only question would be whether or not you could carry it.

If you overloaded to the point that a tripod is going to make or break your ability to carry the pack, I think you need to reconsider what you really need to bring with you. Lighten your load, a lot.

A tripod weighs roughly the same amount as a gallon of water. How much water do you carry with you? You could loose some of it and get filters/Polar Pure instead. Not sure where you're hiking, but generally - water is easy to find.

You know written communications like chat tend to lack the body language and other cues as to when someone is being a complete arschhole and when they're just being polite. Usually it's better to assume people have good intentions.

"I just can't believe you would hike 15 miles on whatever you call a hike, and then say you can't do almost 40 pounds of gear. OH NO!!"

Tried and failed.

What kind of pack do you have? Does it have a frame, or is it the kind of bag you would carry books to school with?

If you have a pack (not a 'book bag'), finding somewhere to put a tripod should be very easy. The only question would be whether or not you could carry it.

If you overloaded to the point that a tripod is going to make or break your ability to carry the pack, I think you need to reconsider what you really need to bring with you. Lighten your load, a lot.

A tripod weighs roughly the same amount as a gallon of water. How much water do you carry with you? You could loose some of it and get filters/Polar Pure instead. Not sure where you're hiking, but generally - water is easy to find.

I hike in deserty California mountains, Not a drop of water in miles. My pack is a Tamrac Adventure 7. I'm pretty sure it can't hold a tripod, I've tried.

Yeah, that's not really what I was picturing. That's more like a camera bag that you can put your jacket in.

You could always put a sling on your tripod. That might be the easiest thing to do, short of buying a more substantial pack. I have one on mine, it comes in handy for not only the obvious (carrying it...) but other things like hanging weight off of it too.

This is how I'm carrying mine at the moment (doesn't show the long lenses either). Not necessarily the best option, but it works. When loaded to the gills, I'm toting ~30lbs. Soon to turn 51 yo, weigh in at ~165lbs, smoke like a chimney, drink like a fish and I can do an all day hike in the mountains. I'm one tired mutha at the end of the day, but I want to have my tripod in the mountains. The series of evening tequila shots are medicinal. :lol:

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back