Lantern in the forest

stk

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I had an idea and tried it out. Now that I'm back home I'm not happy with the result, but I like the concept and would definitely explore this some more.
DSC_6068-Edit-2.jpg

Next time I'll work more on the pose, different hat and possibly use a wider focal length and get some more details in the background.

I think you need an outfit that is more old fashioned for this to work. The lantern calls up a different era.

Agree ^^ Shots like this actually take a bit of work to pull off. Clothing will be item #1; something more late 1800s, next would be having the model walking toward the camera, as the back of someone's head is rarely as interesting as the front, and lastly, adjusting your lighting to match the lantern light. Good start!

Or have her look back I’ve her shoulder to see if the big bad wolf is coming...

My vision was her in side profile, or maybe slightly from behind (but face still showing) and a path or trail leading into the picture (illuminated by the lantern). And that's what I'll be aiming for next time I get the chance.

Some of the challenges is to match the lantern with the flash and ambient light. I'm not going for natural, but here the lantern should've been brighter in relation to the flash illuminating her, and maybe lift the background some. The other problem is that my lowest light stand, is still to tall for her, so she has to really stretch to reach the lantern (here she was standing on a rock in order to reach) without her arm being covered by the light stand or flash head.

Next time; I'll at least know what to bring.

A peek behind the scenes:
DSC_6070.jpg

BTW: The knitted sweater has roots at least back to the mid 1800, the hat not so much.

Last edited:
I like the pose, but I'd like to see more space on the left side to see what she's "using" the lantern to get a look at. The deep dark woods, a foot path, a witches cabin?

I agree. Next time I'll try to find a nice looking path. Witch cabins are unfortunately not very common over here, the forests are mainly inhabited by trolls.

My vision was her in side profile, or maybe slightly from behind (but face still showing) and a path or trail leading into the picture (illuminated by the lantern). And that's what I'll be aiming for next time I get the chance.

Some of the challenges is to match the lantern with the flash and ambient light. I'm not going for natural, but here the lantern should've been brighter in relation to the flash illuminating her, and maybe lift the background some. The other problem is that my lowest light stand, is still to tall for her, so she has to really stretch to reach the lantern (here she was standing on a rock in order to reach) without her arm being covered by the light stand or flash head.

Next time; I'll at least know what to bring.

A peek behind the scenes:
View attachment 151831

BTW: The knitted sweater has roots at least back to the mid 1800, the hat not so much.

I think they mean more of a Victorian 'gloves and cape over long dress' look, but I do like that sweater.

Is there a reason to use the light stand instead of one of those battery powered tea lights inside of the lantern? That way she'd be able to move around and pose more naturally.

I don't think a battery powered tea light would give enough light.

In addition to the comments above, I'll throw this out there, I did a series of shots involving a lantern for Christmas. I found out early on that trying to capture the lantern lit was a fools folly. Yes it can be done but the results aren't worth the effort. Instead I used the adjustment brush in the Camera Raw filter in PS to create my flame and the surrounding light. By adjusting the exposure and temperature, it's not that hard. Here is a before without light
Christmas 201711162017_395.jpg

and after the application of the adjustment brush to add light
Christmas Final 5.jpg

the advantage of this method is the control you have over the spill from the lantern. By applying each adjustment as a new brush, you can alter the color, intensity, and spread of multiple layers of light

Most reactions

New Topics

Back