Corry

Flirtacious and Bodacious
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
corryttc.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was hoping on getting enough in grants and scholarships this year that I would be able to replace my aging desktop and my craptop (that isn't even technically mine) with a decent laptop to get me most of the rest of the way through school.

Well, after getting this last scholarship, I definitely have enough money that I can do so come October. Sooo . . . I am starting to research them now.

I have already sent an email to my 'personal expert' who also seems to double as my electronics dealfinder, but I thought it might be a good idea to get opinions from a broader spectrum.

Ideally, I would like to get a macbook. I would really really really like to get a macbook. But, I don't think it's in the cards. To get everything I would want would cost me far too much, even with the educational discount, and I know how I am . . . I would tell myself "I'll just have to sacrifice this in order to stay within my price limits", and I'd end up forgetting my price limits anyway. ;)

Sooo, I'm sticking with PC, I think.

What brands should I be researching, and which brands should I be writing off? Are there any specific models you recommend? I would like to make $1400 my absolute maximum price, but $1200 would be more preferable.

So . . . what are your experiences?

For $1200, you could buy a beautiful second-hand mac. Just get one off of eBay. That's where I got my iMac, and it was a cool computer.

Could be an idea, but I don't want 2nd hand. Refurb, maybe, but second hand? No.

I want a brand new computer that will be powerful enough to handle how much I use it, and will be tough enough to handle a lot of traveling around between work, school, and home, and also on my trips to the east coast.

It has to be able to handle it when I have photoshop and rawshooter running, as well as several tabs on Opera open, and Trillian.

I didn't know much about computers when I got this one, nor did I realize the effects my hobbies would have on it's performance. I want to do things right this time.

I don't know enough about laptops to give you a personal tip, but check this site out where you can ask that same question. Just fill out your preferences (like you mentioned) and they come up with suggestions.
I've you already tried that, then I'm out of options...:lol:

btw: I use an old hp pavillion. Still works like a charm.

good luck with the hunt

pascal

HP makes really good laptops. If you do alot of PP on the laptop, I would be sure and go with a laptop that has an intel core 2 duo cpu. or dual core centrino. PC world has good review of laptops and there are also some good mobile computing magzines out there too.

I just bought an Acer Aspire 5920 in Feb...I love it. It's the second Acer I've owned and have no qualms with either. This one had 3GB of Ram and 160 GB HDD, and an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU and it was under $1000

CNet did a review on it in Aug of last year...

7.4 out of 10

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/acer-aspire-5920/4505-3121_7-32461074.html

It's not a macbook, but it's a great laptop for a great price.

Don't give up on the MacBook:-

Apple Store US

The basic model is well within your budget. Personally I would recommend the middle model as it has a superdrive instead of a combo, plus more RAM, and it's still within budget.

You guy's get everything so cheap in the USA :grumpy:

I pick up an apple mac last year off ebay for only about 200 quid - it works fine and is in great condition - you if ask the seller a few questions. and thinks it a safe one i would always go for second hand if your looking to save money . . ..

HP makes really good laptops. If you do alot of PP on the laptop, I would be sure and go with a laptop that has an intel core 2 duo cpu. or dual core centrino. PC world has good review of laptops and there are also some good mobile computing magzines out there too.

I agree that HP are great laptops. We purchase quite a few laptops a year, and after going through many different brands, HP so far has been the best for us. The worst were Acers that we bought. They were heavy, the plugins for mouse, USB devices and power cord were on the sides instead of the back, and all of our Acers broke. The power plug on the inside of the laptop came apart so that you could no longer charge it. I'm sure it was just that particular model of Acer that had the problem, but we have been happy with HP. I personally use Dell, but they are somewhat overpriced, and support is the worst in my opinion.

I thought this was a pretty good deal:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/prod...TS&cm_ite=1 PRODUCT&cm_keycode=4&om_keycode=4

I always keep an eye out on www.dealnews.com for good deals too.

Thanks for all the advice so far.

I'll repeat, though . . . to get everything I want, the macbook is not in my budget, and I'm not getting a used one off of ebay.

Well, What size monitor do you want? a 15.4 or a 17?

I just recently bought an 15.4in HP laptop for $799. Had 3 gigs of ram [expandable to 4gigs] dual core 2ghz AMD processor, and a 250gig hard drive. Now, I don't think I have a slot for another harddrive like my brothers 17in does, but I was wanting something a little bit more portable.

So far mine handles just about everything i can throw at it... It could use a better video card though which if i can i may upgrade soon.

I don't see the point in paying a high price for a mac when you can have something else much better for the same price.

What I suggest spec wise, go for no less than 3gigs of ram [the more the merrier].. and i personally wouldn't go lower than a 2ghz dual core processor. And the size of the HD is all personal preference and what you think you will use.

With that being said... Go check out some of the laptops at a store and see how the feel to you. Decide which brands you don't like, and which you do. Brand is usually no concern when I'm shopping, its the feel and technical specs of it.

*edit* Or, I would go with 2gigs of ram if it was expandable to 4.

my personal favourite are Lenovo/IBM .

After various experience with lots of Dell, HP, Vaio/Sony, Samsung and all that, I have to say that we had lots of problems with those brands.

The Lenovos are really sturdy (and that means really sturdy), and if you spend a bit on the X60s or whatever they are called these days, they are even ultraportable.

Lenovo.

Built like a tank, and the IdeaBook line is pretty cheap now. The business laptops are legendary for being basically the best in the business realm, and they're tackling consimerdom now.

Though if you can find something affordible with Centrino 2 (just released), that would probably be your best bet. As for monitor size 17" is just plain too big for a laptop. THose are desktop replacements and not intended to be carried around. for my preference, 13.3" is the ideal laptop screen size, but up to 15.4" is pretty good.

Edit: I just priced out a few Lenovos, buth IdeaPad and ThinkPad, and you can get a damn good ThinkPad for around $1250. If you decide to go with that, let me know, and I'll help you configure it to get the most bang for your buck

Edit-Edit: As much as I hate to say it, it is true, the Macbook is easily in your price range with the educational discount.

Last edited:
uuummmmm... a macbook is in your price range.

Most reactions

Back