learning through experience

Shadowbox

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
h

Last edited:
Thank you for the response, I am going for it now!

Do you have a portfolio (even small) to show?

h

Last edited:
Personally, I would want to see where you are at before i made a decision. Best to be prepaired!

What kind of local photographer are you hoping would be willing to mentor you - retail, commercial, editorial?

How reasonable is it for me to approach a local photographer and ask for the opportunity to shadow? What would be your reaction to an aspiring photographer asking you this?

A couple I work with recently did their engagement photoshoot with a local photographer and they posted some of the pics on their facebook. I commented on how much I liked their pics and hope that my photogrpahy looks as good one day. The photographer replied back thanking me for my comments and that I was welcome to tag along on any furture photoshoots and I of course have accepted that offer.

You should try, but definitely you will need to prepare your portfolio before that. Personally I like to know what I could expect from the person who wants to work with me.
I would suggest you to set up a blog and upload it regularly :)

Agree with what everyone else said. Definitly get that porfolio together. It'll show the photographer where you are but also that you are serious and can take his/her business seriously. Act like it's an interview. They won't want to take you along to shots if they can't trust your professionalism. Not saying you're not professional but just throwing it out there. Good luck!

h

Last edited:
I think it's a great idea. I had a local college student ask me if she could shadow me. I was kinda flattered, actually. Felt bad when I had to tell her no... I just don't have enough business that she would get much value out of me, unfortunately. (my business is a side- thing and I'm finicky about what jobs I take)

If the shadowing a photographer doesn't work maybe think about joining a local club, there may be someone in there that is willing to mentor a person.

Finding the right person will make all the difference in how much you learn. I had a friend that had just completed 3 years at a very good photo school and wanted to work with me through a summer a few years ago, we went out a few times and spent alot of time talking about what she knew and where she wanted to go with photography. She ended up realizing that she couldn't make a living doing it. I felt bad for her as she did have some skills, but had wasted 3 years at school and then just didn't want it. I think approaching a photographer and working around them, you will learn quickly, and in the long run probably enjoy the overall experience. Good luck with this.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back