Leave it or Clone it Out?

It's part of the image.

For me it does. I like unexpected elements, and the nail clearly breaks the vertical pattern of the image but in a good way. The whole image is about the shapes and color and texture, and the sudden round nail adds even more texture.

The nail provides dissonance (in a good way!) in a composition that's heavily dependent upon repetition. To me, it also adds verisimilitude. I say leave it in.

No but for me neither does the left 20% of the image. I like it the way it is.

Personally, I like the nail head. It helps me realize just what I'm looking at.

Leave it ... yes it adds ... it disrupts ... it disturbs ... it brings realty into a subtly mesmerizing image.

Leave it ... yes it adds ... it disrupts ... it disturbs ... it brings realty into a subtly mesmerizing image.

Looks like a consensus for leave it. Apart from Designer's take on it here's the cloned variation for reference:

rusty2.jpg

I'll leave the nail.

Joe

From my walk to the grocery store.
Frankly, this composition has so many other ways to go that worrying about one nail head is "straining".

For me, the brightness of the area to the left of the nail is more distracting. And then I begin to look at other things. You've cropped some of the vertical stains top and bottom, and included a bit too much on the left side.

If you have any more image to work with, try a vertical or square format and simply crop the nail off the edge. So now maybe it's more abstract?

View attachment 155118

Yep, I really didn't like the vertical stains being cropped top and bottom but I had no choice unless I wanted to get involved in serious cloning work. Other large rust stains are just a few mm outside the frame. I played around with the square idea and I think that has merit. I could definitely end up with a square variant as you suggest. I usually do crop my images but this one is from the camera entirely uncropped and I think I was too pleased with myself for being able to hold the camera level for once that I left it as is.

Joe

Out damn spot!

So I'm not sure if this is just you figuring out what it was or if you're the sole vote for cloning it out. That was my first instinct.

Joe

Looks like a consensus for leave it. Apart from Designer's take on it here's the cloned variation for reference:

View attachment 155123
I guess I'll be the lone voice of dissent: I like the one with the nail cloned-out better. Much better.

I thought to crop out one of the right-hand ridges, too. So I tried it. Didn't like it.

View attachment 155123
I guess I'll be the lone voice of dissent: I like the one with the nail cloned-out better. Much better.

I thought to crop out one of the right-hand ridges, too. So I tried it. Didn't like it.

There's a lot to be said for removing the nail. It's not like you'd miss it if you never knew it was there in the first place.

Joe

Let it be,
Let it be,
There will be an answer,
Let it be
dom,da-da-da-dom-dom-dom

I`d leave it, as it adds to the whole image.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back