What's new

Left Behind: Part II

Rick58

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Jun 23, 2012
Messages
4,227
Reaction score
1,473
Location
Reading, Pa
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Second in my "Left Behind" series.
Due to the earthy tones against the blue sky, this shot was taken with the intention of processing it in color

35mm prime
1/750
f6.3
ISO 200
-2.33 ev to avoid blowing out the sky



View attachment 40528
 
For me, its just "okay". The reason being, I get a dark spooky, "left behind" feeling from the building, but then it is against a beautiful blue sky. I know you said that was why you processed it in color, but for me, I see black and white all over this image. Either than or tone down the sky with a desaturatation brust or something.

Either that or HDR, so I can see a little more in to the building, but I think you said you dont do HDR.

I know some people might like it, but for me, like I said, just okay.

Maybe later I will try an edit.
 
Thanks for the comments Parker. Like you said, everyone see's things differently. I didn't even attempt to put it through B&W processing because it was originally envisioned as color. Maybe that's narrow minded on my part. I guess we'll see what other comments it fetches.

BTW, I didn't want to see inside. The old speed boat kind'a ruined the rustic look:lol:
 
zombie alert
bigthumb.gif
 
Oh boy, One "It's just OK" and one Zombie alert. :lol:
 
The business of the branches detracts from the impact of the structure.
Makes me want to prune. ;)
 
Prune, that reminds me to set some out for morning, oh the branches. My first reaction was, that shot would have come up a lot with the branches gone. Note to self, carry pruning shears. later Ed
 
@ Cenote: I over rode the settings given by the camera by giving 2.33 stops less light. If I would have gone with the camera's settings, the sky would have gotten washed out. Instead, I got the sky where I wanted it, then brought up the shadows in post.
 
Huh, I guess this didn't work as planned. I could have taken the shot from the other corner and had a, more or less, open shot of the entrance. I purposely shot from here to include the branches suffocating the entrance to add to the "Left Behind", abandoned, feel.
 
I like it, Rick. It's actually a beautiful old building, we don't see many built from actual stone these days.
 
So Rick, you dont think this looks more like "left behind"?

View attachment 40575

Hey parker, I played with this a little today and came pretty close to yours, but I have to say I'm still a sucker for the barns earth tones. I don't think it's a matter of being right or wrong, any more then picking a Ford or Chevy.Very nice conversion BTW. Funny, 9 times out of 10, I'm a B&W guy.
 
@ Cenote: I over rode the settings given by the camera by giving 2.33 stops less light.

Thanks, kinda of thought that, but the 1/3 threw me off. Didn't realize you could under expose that much and still get that much detail in a shot.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom