Legal Mumbo-Jumbo

jmtonkin

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a relatively specific question regarding copyright and I was not really able to find anything online. I took a picture of my universities Campanile tonight, and I would like to post them to my photography page. This building was built in 1929, so it is covered under copyright law. Being as this is a state-run university, however, do the same laws apply? Because my tax dollars fund it, is it alright for me to post a picture of it? I know several people do, but they also are not running a business.

I know the best option would be to just ask to be safe, but I have no idea who I would even ask!

There should be no issue with that, as far as I understand US copyright law. I'm sure one of our more knowledable members will be along soon to give you a more definitive answer.

Visit the Copyright.gov web site and read the law.
There is not all that much of it to read.

Architectural copyright only applies to the plans, not the exterior of a building that can be seen from public property.

http://copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.pdf
Page 98 - §120
Scope of exclusive rights in architectural works
(a) Pictorial Representations Permitted.—The copyright in an architectural work that has been constructed does not include the right to prevent the making, distributing, or public display of pictures, paintings, photographs, or other pictorial representations of the work, if the building in which the work is embodied is located in or ordinarily visible from a public place.

Also copyright law has changed significantly since 1929, as has the length of time copyright is in effect.

No attribution manner stated by author - Creative CommonsAttribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license.
625px-Copyright_term.svg.png

Last edited:
Who would care?
I imagine that if it were a copyright violation and I posted it to my website or Facebook page that the university could file a lawsuit. As I am working to start my business, I would rather not have that legal issue hanging over my head. I wasn't sure how the law worked regarding state owned monuments/facilities/buildings, so I went to the one place full of people who have likely encountered this issue. I doubt that the university would waste their time perusing this matter, but I would rather not risk it if it could come back to bite me.

Who would care?
I imagine that if it were a copyright violation and I posted it to my website or Facebook page that the university could file a lawsuit. As I am working to start my business, I would rather not have that legal issue hanging over my head. I wasn't sure how the law worked regarding state owned monuments/facilities/buildings, so I went to the one place full of people who have likely encountered this issue. I doubt that the university would waste their time perusing this matter, but I would rather not risk it if it could come back to bite me.
Good sir, you have not stated in which country the law applies. Under UK law it's different to US law but in general the law of panorama applies. If it's taken from a visible point on public land then usually the law of Panorama applies. Most European countries have the same law except for a few and Dubai it's illegal to photograph any buildings without the architect's permission. So if you see a photo of the Bury Kalifah, somebody as probably gone to a lot of time and expense to take it.

[emoji46]

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Good sir, you have not stated in which country the law applies. Under UK law it's different to US law but in general the law of panorama applies. If it's taken from a visible point on public land then usually the law of Panorama applies. Most European countries have the same law except for a few and Dubai it's illegal to photograph any buildings without the architect's permission. So if you see a photo of the Bury Kalifah, somebody as probably gone to a lot of time and expense to take it.

[emoji46]

Look at his little mini-profile on the left. His location is Minnesota and South Dakota for school.

[emoji46]

Look at his little mini-profile on the left. His location is Minnesota and South Dakota for school.
He didn't say which country he took the photos in. Where they're taken and later displayed is probably an entirely different matter. Copyright law is complex.

I doubt that the university would waste their time perusing this matter, but I would rather not risk it if it could come back to bite me.
That is a foolish assumption.

Somewhere on campus is an office staffed with people who know who to ask. Call or visit.

He didn't say which country he took the photos in. Where they're taken and later displayed is probably an entirely different matter. Copyright law is complex.

Sorry, but...

I have a relatively specific question regarding copyright and I was not really able to find anything online. I took a picture of my universities Campanile tonight, and I would like to post them to my photography page. This building was built in 1929, so it is covered under copyright law. Being as this is a state-run university, however, do the same laws apply? Because my tax dollars fund it, is it alright for me to post a picture of it? I know several people do, but they also are not running a business.

It was at his university which, according to his mini-profile, is in South Dakota, and he wants to display them on the Internet.

And yes, I know copyright law is complex. But those questions were already answered.

this makes me want to travel to SD just to take pictures of this building and post them all the internet just to show you not to worry.

If, and that's a BIG IF, your university has a problem with the picture... They will ask you to remove it before they take any legal action. They don't want to spend money on a lawsuit any more than you do. But really.... You are being paranoid.

Here's ours:

DSC_0007 - Version 2 (1).jpg

(shy)

DSC_0014 - Version 2 (1).jpg

detail:

DSC_0010 - Version 2 (1).jpg

Really dorky (p*ss-poor version of it in a stupid place)

DSC_0017 - Version 2 (1).jpg

sculpture garden homage done not very well:

DSC_0029 - Version 2 (1).jpg

Sorry, but...

It was at his university which, according to his mini-profile, is in South Dakota, and he wants to display them on the Internet.

And yes, I know copyright law is complex. But those questions were already answered.
Be as pedantic as you like. I studied at university in South Africa, educated in Zimbabwe and work in England. Nowhere does that tell you anything about which country the copyright law applies to photos I took of my state-run college.

Copyright law is complex because wherever the image is displayed, the law depends entirely upon the country it was taken in, their local laws where the image is now being broadcast from and where it's being viewed in. So for example, an unauthorised picture taken of the White House oval room held on German servers and broadcast only to Dutch observers would be under Dutch law, German jurisdiction and copyright law application would be upon European Copyright Law... America doesn't even get a look in unless the State Department can prove that it's a matter of national security that may jeopardise the President. So hopefully that clarifies how muddy the waters of copyright law are especially if somebody issues a DMCA against a Zimbabwean copyright breaches who effectively gives the yanks a middle finger and gets off scot-free.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back