Legality

rms59

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I thought I would finally join a photography forum after what happened to me today. I'm 72 years old and have been taking photos since I was 14.

I have been taking photos of my granddaughter (age 8) at the public school she has gone to every Wednesday since she was 5. I bring her there and pick her up on that day which is my day to do it. I'll stand outside near my car and shoot her coming and going while she carries her bookbags, umbrella and have some great shots of her school experience. There is also a small open playground about 200 feet away which is part of the school where she goes if it's a nice day. I also bring along my 4 year old grandson and they will play in the park for about a half hour.

I was approached today by a teacher who has told me not to take pictures anymore because some parent complained.

So, my question is this. Do I have a right to photograph my granddaughter outside the school building that she attends?

Thanks in advance

Richard

I'm not a lawyer but I think I have the right to photograph my children whenever and wherever I please.

rms59 said:
I thought I would finally join a photography forum after what happened to me today. I'm 72 years old and have been taking photos since I was 14.

I have been taking photos of my granddaughter (age 8) at the public school she has gone to every Wednesday since she was 5. I bring her there and pick her up on that day which is my day to do it. I'll stand outside near my car and shoot her coming and going while she carries her bookbags, umbrella and have some great shots of her school experience. There is also a small open playground about 200 feet away which is part of the school where she goes if it's a nice day. I also bring along my 4 year old grandson and they will play in the park for about a half hour.

I was approached today by a teacher who has told me not to take pictures anymore because some parent complained.

So, my question is this. Do I have a right to photograph my granddaughter outside the school building that she attends?

Thanks in advance

Richard

If you are photographing your grandchildren, I see no issue. However you are shooting on school grounds, which is a bit different.

Parents will get butthurt because they see someone with a dslr, and think that they're shooting photos of their kid(s). So they'll complain and go to the administration because they feel like their kids are in danger.

Perhaps if you show the administration that you're taking photos of only your grandchildren, they might back off.

It's a public place. No right to privacy can be assumed.

If the school has a written policy that prohibits photography of student on school property, then they may have a case. I would check on that!

If they don't have a written policy, and it was just some busybody jerk who complained, and a teacher that doesn't know any better... than you should be good.

I am not an attorney.. so don't take anything I say as gospel... it might totally wrong!

I just want to further point out that I DO understand the concerns of the complaining parent because of the times we live in, but it's not like I'm going to a school and shooting just anyone. In this case, I have a right to be there. It's my grandchilds school. And, because she comes out with other kids, they also get in many of those photos which is why I never post them online. They just go into my hard copy album of her life.

Dick

It's a public place. No right to privacy can be assumed.

Public schools aren't necessarily public property... you can be asked to leave, and they can make rules that affect the environment and visitors.

Access to Public Property | Citizen Media Law Project

Quote" Remember that because public schools are not entirely public forums, school administrators often have the discretion to restrict the entry of outsiders, particularly while the school is in session. Check in with the school administration before entering school grounds or you may be liable for trespass. Additionally, some states laws prohibit people from loitering within a certain distance while school is in session. These "school loitering laws" are mainly aimed at keeping sexual predators and drug dealers away from schoolchildren, but be aware that their language may be broad enough to cover lawful or innocent activity as well."

Public schools aren't necessarily public property... ......

"Public place" does not always mean "public property".

Malls are privately owned, yet considered a public place.

Public schools aren't necessarily public property... ......

"Public place" does not always mean "public property".

I agree.. and try doing some photography in one! Usually won't let you.. public place or not!

I agree.. and try doing some photography in one! Usually won't let you.. public place or not![/QUOTE]

Never had an issue.

Most reactions

Back