lens for trips

pyrgal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
We will be going to Alaska and Cosamel within the next few months. I am hoping to be using a newly cleaned and working Canon AE-1(I'm awaiting its return from the shop). I currently have a standard Canon 50mm and a 135mm lens. Any suggestions on lens to purchase to get great photos in those landscapes?

Thanks

Look for a 24mm or a 28mm. I prefer the 24's, but the 28's are a little cheaper.

It's beautiful up in Alaska...I would use as wide a lens as I could. 24mm or wider would be great.

Also, there might be some opportunities to get some wildlife shots, in which case a long telephoto like a 300mm would come in handy.

Thanks. I'm hoping to get both great landscape and animal shots. I thought a good telephoto might come in handy too. Now I'll have to see what I can come up with!

Canon FD lenses are easy to find in used camera shops and on E-bay. I've been thinking of getting an AE-1 just so I could get a bunch of used FD lenses to go with it.

Pyrgal:

Since you have finally found your way to posting a question, I'd thought I'd copy and paste my previous response from another posting and add a few tidbits of information.

In reading the responses to this post, I've noted several recommendations for the Canon FD 24mm or 28mm lens and I will, therefore, again place some emphasis upon choosing a Canon FD 35mm F/2.0 instead of the wider angle lenses.

With a wider angle of view, the 24mm or the 28mm lenses have to place more of an image area on the same area of film. Consequently, you will not only include more area of view on the film, but everything will also look smaller and further away. In short, there's a chance that your "mountains" might become (large) "molehills".

If you're fortunate enough to live near a good camera shop and/or have several friends with a range of wide angle lenses between them, you might play around with each of the wide angle lenses you're considering to purchase to actually see the visual effects of each lens - before making a choice. It might lead to a wiser decision on your part and, perhaps, less disappointment on your forthcoming trip.

In my previous post - below - I didn't make mention of either the Canon FD 1.4 extender or the 2X extender, because I personally don't recommend them because of (1) their loss of light and (2) the degredation of image quality. Again, I would suggest that you explore their possible consideration and/or purchase as suggested above.

Finally, since I haven't seen a recommendation for a wonderful source of information regarding Canon FD Lenses and Cameras in this forum, you might check out this site for additional information or future reference. It is rather excellent, IMHO.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/canon/fdresources/fdlenses/

Although the resource below is off the mark with regard to this forum discussion, I thought you might enjoy reading Erwin Puts's review of several Canon lenses (under "Canon topics") and the many other sources of information found through the exploration of his web pages.

http://www.imx.nl/photosite/comments/c014.html

As you may or may not know Erwin Puts is the author of the "Leica Lens Compendium", which can found at Amazon.com

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/189780217X/qid=1122141644/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/102-7448605-0349751?v=glance&s=books&n=507846[/ame]

Enough for said now.

Here's the previous posting.

Best wishes and keep us informed of your choice of lenses and then post some images upon your return.

Bill

I'd suggest the purchase of a high speed Canon FD wide angle lens, such as the 35mm F/2.0 with lens shade and the purchase of the Canon FD 85mm F/1.8 lens with lens shade as well.

While a Canon FD 28mm lens might be suitable for some landscape photography, it will make your images that much smaller and also make them look further away. Only by using a projected image, might you and other really appreciate the grandeur of Alaska.

Decades ago, one of the members of the Peoria Color Camera club used an (now old) Leitz/Leica Prado (single slide) projector with a wide angle projection lens. The couple gave one flat wall of their basement several coats of a nice white paint and used it as a projection screen. The effects of seeing a wide screen display of their slides was breathtaking to say the least.

The use of a moderate telephoto lens, such as a recommended Canon FD 85mm F/1.8 will give you a nice moderate telephoto lens for both general landscape photography and for portraiture.

I am certain that there are other lenses which might be equally valuable, such as the Canon 100mm Macro F/4.0 lens or a Canon FD 200mm lens, etc., but I have no idea as to your budget.

For inspiration, I'd rent the DVD version of "Never Cry Wolf" and enjoy and learn from it; this movie is extraordinary in its storying telling, but especially so in its photography. And even though the movie is excellent, the book of the same title by Canadian author Farley Mowat is far better.

For additional inspirational photography, you might also take a look at the DVD version of "Winged Migration".

I would also recommend the rental or borrowing of some films on Alaska, etc, from your local public or college library. I am certain that a conscientious Librarian will be most helpful in finding a number of films and/or books for you to read.

Finally, I would also recommend the reading of the two books previously mentioned by me in this post. The latter, "Better Colour" by Walther Bensor will be most helpful.

Hope this is also helpful in your forth coming trip!

Bill

Thanks Bill,

Actually, after digging around in the old camera bag I found we have a Canon 28mm. I need to check out our filters too. While we lived in Germany I was really into photography but have let it go by the wayside as years have gone by. It's time for a rebirth. Anyway, with the money I didn't spend on going digital I can afford a nice telephoto and maybe a 35mm. The first trip is coming up soon. Hopefully I'll find something in time.

Most reactions

Back