LENS HOOD - why and when

tirediron said:
^^ That!

There's really no time that you shouldn't use a lens hood; there are lots of times when it's not necessary (other than for potential protection) such as in the low-light situations, but I can't think of a time when you shouldn't use it.

I'm pretty sure it's around .01% of the time, but it could impede some macro shots.
With some lenses, the hood can cause a shadow when using the pop-up flash. Not an issue with a hot-shoe mounted flash though (not that I have ever seen, anyway).

On wide angle shots you may get some vignetting so you can remove it for that kind of shot.
That would only be an issue if you were using a hood that was not designed for that particular lens. (Like a generic hood that screws into the filter threads.)

In addition to all the above points regarding blocking out unwanted light, lens protection and sex appeal - the lens hood is also unparalleled protection against lemurs - and other muddly/sticky pawed/nosed creatures:

3372256987_2c3bdd8f70.jpg

for macro it depends a lot on the lens - my 150mm always has the hood attached and hardly affects working distance - whilst the 35mm and 70mm both have quite recessed front elements, so on the shorter lenses you don't need the hood because the build of the lens already provides a small one, and further at the close distances they do affect the working distance noticeably

So THAT's WHY Canon puts the white coating on some of its lenses!!! To get horny lemurs interested in MATING with their lenses, in an effort to spread the Canon DNA to the animal kingdom!! And obviously, it's working--do you see how horny that lemur seems to be!?!?! A lens hood really DOES add sexual appeal to a lens! The lemur is reaching out with his left arm and paw, and directing the photographer to lower his mighty Canon L-lens so that he can copulate with it!!! Luckily, the smart Canon shooter has placed an optional, "this is Canon so ya' gotta pay extra for a lens hood", lens hood on his mighty white and black, lemur-colored lens, in an effort to frustrate the horny lemur's sexual advances.

Derrel said:
So THAT's WHY Canon puts the white coating on some of its lenses!!! To get horny lemurs interested in MATING with their lenses, in an effort to spread the Canon DNA to the animal kingdom!! And obviously, it's working--do you see how horny that lemur seems to be!?!?! A lens hood really DOES add sexual appeal to a lens! The lemur is reaching out with his left arm and paw, and directing the photographer to lower his mighty Canon L-lens so that he can copulate with it!!! Luckily, the smart Canon shooter has placed an optional, "this is Canon so ya' gotta pay extra for a lens hood", lens hood on his mighty white and black, lemur-colored lens, in an effort to frustrate the horny lemur's sexual advances.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I think I just peed a little. That's the funniest thing I've ever read on tpf.

Derrel is just a Canon hater. A very funny Canon hater though! lol (Me makes me wish I had gone Nikon sometimes with his very well worded posts :()

johnh2005 said:
Derrel is just a Canon hater. A very funny Canon hater though! lol (Me makes me wish I had gone Nikon sometimes with his very well worded posts :()

Haha he isn't a canon hater. Darrel shoots both canon AND nikon. Looked at his profile pic lately? Unless he changed it he's holding a canon body.

No, did not notice that. I just remember his name from reading some very compelling posts about Nikon and its advantages. I was trying to be funny really. Which obviously I am not very good at. I should probably cut the humor from the posts.

johnh2005 said:

Haha he isn't a canon hater. Darrel shoots both canon AND nikon. Looked at his profile pic lately? Unless he changed it he's holding a canon body.

He might shoot both, but based on his posts I'm fairly sure the Canon shooting part is only engaging with his masochistic side ;)

johnh2005 said:

He might shoot both, but based on his posts I'm fairly sure the Canon shooting part is only engaging with his masochistic side ;)

Derrel's Photography Blog: Don't Believe The Slanderous Claptrap

One of the things I LOVE the most about Canon d-slr cameras is the way the system can accept lenses from so,so many different manufacturers. Lenses are what LAST the longest...50,60,70 years, or longer. I have a lot of Nikkor lenses, as well as a 15-piece Canon d-slr system. The Canon 5D to me is a great "vehicle" for using adapted Nikon and Pentax lenses for the times when I happen to have an older, manual focusing lens of very high quality that I want to use occasionally, but do not need a new,modern autofocusing lens just to satisfy occasional use. Using Nikon and Pentax lenses on Canon bodies is a great way to finally get some truly good glass on an EOS body!!! (wink, wink, nudge,nudge!)

Yeah--my profile pic is me, holding a Canon 5D, grip, and prime lens...

Last edited:
I see there are many types of hoods ( 4 poitly sides, perfectly rounded one, and others ). Is there any specific function of each different types of hoods?

I see there are many types of hoods ( 4 poitly sides, perfectly rounded one, and others ). Is there any specific function of each different types of hoods?
They all have the same function (stop light from hitting the lens), but they were designed for different lenses.

Petal type hoods are made to extend as far out as possible without being visible in the frame. The image circle is round, but the frame is not. These hoods may block part of the image circle, but not the part that hits the frame.

Imagine that you had a hood on that was too small... The first place you would see it is the corners of the frame. Petal type hoods have this section of the hood cut out. This is also why hey have two short petals (the sides) and two long ones (top & bottom).

The perfectly round ones take less time to design and cost less to make, which is why they are most often included with consumer grade lenses.

Round hoods are also usually included with expensive long focal length lenses, both primes and zooms.

Some of the round, long focal length lens hoods are not inexpensive - Nikon HK-35 Lens Hood for AF-S Nikkor 600mm f/4G ED VR 4937 B&H

I use a hood about all the time, its the only protection I use for the glass.

Also, you'll notice that some lens hoods attach via a bayonet type mount near the front of the lens. Most petal hoods are this style and you need to buy the correct type of hood for your lens. Some hoods just screw into the filter threads, these are always the plain round type.

Also, some lenses rotate the front of the lens while they focus. These are usually the cheapest lenses. Depending on the type of lens mount, you may not be able to use a petal style hood for these lenses.

Some hoods just screw into the filter threads, these are always the plain round type.

I have an aftermarket plastic screw in hood that is petal shaped. Actually it may have saved my lens when I fell in a 5' deep trench that was hidden by weeds almost as high. It got ripped off in the fall but no damage to camera or lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back