LENS HOOD - why and when

franco stacy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
It seems that I see people using a lens hood much more than they did with film, is there a reason for that or is it my imagination?

Please tell me what the lens hood does and some examples of WHEN to use it and WHEN NOT to use it?

Thanks

Lens hood simply protects the front element if you do happen to smash them on accident, they also reduce unwanted light (like sunlight) to reduce glare and provide better rendition or color, or something like that ;p

^^ That!

There's really no time that you shouldn't use a lens hood; there are lots of times when it's not necessary (other than for potential protection) such as in the low-light situations, but I can't think of a time when you shouldn't use it.

tirediron said:
^^ That!

There's really no time that you shouldn't use a lens hood; there are lots of times when it's not necessary (other than for potential protection) such as in the low-light situations, but I can't think of a time when you shouldn't use it.

I'm pretty sure it's around .01% of the time, but it could impede some macro shots.

To the OP: This has been argued and discussed more times on this forum than you can EVER imagine. Please try using the search function before creating new threads in the future.

I've been using mine on my 50mm in place of a uv filter to protect the glass. seems to be working so far

My 70-300 fell out of an unzipped bag from the back of my SUV onto concrete. My lens hood was on it. Lens hood cracked, lens wasn't damaged.

That's why I use a lens hood. Learn from my fail!

Sex appeal. Always.

Coolness factor. Always.

"I don't always drink beer. But when I do, I prefer to get really hammered."

...3 hours later.... "Thay stirsty fy mriends!"

memes-untitled9.jpg

Basically when you don't want sun flare. On wide angle shots you may get some vignetting so you can remove it for that kind of shot. Even though there may be a thread on some of these topics new ideas, new equipment, new experiences always come up.
-
Shoot well, Joe

In addition to all the above points regarding blocking out unwanted light, lens protection and sex appeal - the lens hood is also unparalleled protection against lemurs - and other muddly/sticky pawed/nosed creatures:

3372256987_2c3bdd8f70.jpg

for macro it depends a lot on the lens - my 150mm always has the hood attached and hardly affects working distance - whilst the 35mm and 70mm both have quite recessed front elements, so on the shorter lenses you don't need the hood because the build of the lens already provides a small one, and further at the close distances they do affect the working distance noticeably

unparalleled protection against lemurs, love it

Most reactions

New Topics

Back