Lens Protection

itznfb said:
are you able to prove filters reduce IQ? because i've never seen proof of such a claim.
Are you able to prove filters protect?

I've never seen proof UV filters 'protect'. Anecdotal evidence is not proof. That your UV filter was scratched does not mean your lens objective would have been. Certainly, you may want to rethink your camera handeling techniques and/or take greater care with your equipment.

I have seen lens objectives scratched from the shards of a shattered UV 'protection' filter though.

Yes. Actually i could. If i was willing to i could take a pile of sand and scratch my filter. Take off the filter and show the lens element wasn't scratched. Then take that same pile of sand and scratch the lens element.
filter = protection is proven.

Only naive people think that nothing will happen to your lens because you're "careful". Filters are easier to clean, easy to replace and don't negatively effect IQ in any way. So there is no reason not to use them.

Maybe i should take better care of it? I take better care of my equipment than you do apparently. At least i take pro-active measures to protect my equipment. I didn't spend thousands on good camera equipment to use it inside a protective bubble. Things happen. There's no way to avoid it. Maybe you should rethink not protecting your equipment.

are you able to prove filters reduce IQ? because i've never seen proof of such a claim.

I could, I have the appropriate "Protective filter" a 77mm opticap window glass filter, unfortunately by the time I got the images processed this thread will be dead and gone. I know full well it reduces IQ, I can literally see it in the viewfinder it's that drastic.

:er: and I can literally see that it doesn't reduce IQ.
I too take pro-active measures to protect my equipment.

We differ on what level of protection we deem sufficient and to the degree of additional problems we are willing to accept as a result of our choice.

Note, I said better care with your equipment, not better care of your equipment.

i can't believe people rely on lens hoods to protect their lenses. there is no viable data to show that any filter reduces the quality of an image. and it only takes one little branch to cost hundreds or thousands of damage a $80 filter could have prevented. i could throw a $5 Quantaray filter on my 18-50mm f/2.8 and post a with and without and i guarantee no human could tell the difference; or any analysis software either for that matter. just put a UV or clear on there for protection and be done with it.

canon makes a few protective filters
UV, Haze & Protection

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn: :waiting: :waiting: :waiting:

Still waiting for the shots.

Last edited:
i can't believe people rely on lens hoods to protect their lenses. there is no viable data to show that any filter reduces the quality of an image. and it only takes one little branch to cost hundreds or thousands of damage a $80 filter could have prevented. i could throw a $5 Quantaray filter on my 18-50mm f/2.8 and post a with and without and i guarantee no human could tell the difference; or any analysis software either for that matter. just put a UV or clear on there for protection and be done with it.

UV, Haze & Protection

What shots?
I said I could. Not that I would. If you want to see the results are exactly the same do it yourself.

If I do it some people will just say I didn't use a filter either time. Already dealt with that stupid argument not wasting my time again.

UV, Haze & Protection

I was using a very decent quality "plain glass" filter some time back. Borrowed it from a friend... Nikon. I realized it was SERIOUSLY screwing with my long exposure night photography. I took it off. Way better.

Later on I was using it taking pictures of buildings and it was causing some kind of chromatic aberration or something. Took it off. Way better.

It didn't cause problems all the time, and you had to be SUPER picky to notice it, but I was... and I did. Unfortunately I don't know enough to tell you what particular model of glass it was or anything... all I know is it was on my Sigma 10-20.

<shrug>

UV, Haze & Protection

What shots?
I said I could. Not that I would. If you want to see the results are exactly the same do it yourself.

If I do it some people will just say I didn't use a filter either time. Already dealt with that stupid argument not wasting my time again.

Ahhh,,,, just another unproven theory then based on belief, not fact. I guess I will stroll over to a useful thread then.

What shots?

Ahhh,,,, just another unproven theory then based on belief, not fact. I guess I will stroll over to a useful thread then.

lol. you guys are ridiculous. it is a fact. filter does not decrease IQ has been proven. by many studies. filter does reduce IQ, never proven. FACT. deal with it.

As with all religious arguments, this has gotten ridiculous.

lol. you guys are ridiculous. it is a fact. filter does not decrease IQ has been proven. by many studies. filter does reduce IQ, never proven. FACT. deal with it.

Just curious where this numerous data is, could you post a link? Apparently you have many sources.

Wondering what equipment they used in these tests and how they were done (what environments, etc).

Thanks

yep. about as ridiculous as saying a filter reduces IQ.

anyone that says a filter caused some type of image degradation in their shot is just blaming a bad shot on the filter. this forum is the first time i've ever heard a photographer complain that a filter reduces IQ. i have several 40+ yr professional photographers in the family and none of them have ever heard someone blame their crappy shot on a filter before.

so here's a game for you.

which shot used a filter? terrible angle to the sun... lots of color variation. in one of the shots i just held the filter in front of the lens in the other... no filter. oh... and it's a $00.50 grab bag filter.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Just curious where this numerous data is, could you post a link? Apparently you have many sources.

Wondering what equipment they used in these tests and how they were done (what environments, etc).

Thanks

someone posted it in a thread just like this one. on this very forum. have fun searching.

What shots?

... and I guess that with all that empirical proof, that I can put that filter back on my 24-70, the one that was screwing up the IQ of my shots (the one that was so bad I saw the differences on my camera's LCD)... lol

I'd like to see these studies. Have any links? Have any book, studies, newspapers, articles, forum posts... ANY place I could definitively see that filters do NOT reduce IQ?

I appreciate it... thanks.

Most reactions

Back