Lens Question

billco

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I currently own the Nikon D300, but I am considering moving on to the D700. Is it true that my Nikkor VR 18-200 lens is not really compatible with the D700. I was told it could be used but that, for some reason, the effective pixel rating of the camara would be deminished to about 5 megapixels. Is this accurate, and is so, is there a comparable lens to the 18-200 that is made for the D700?? Thanks

The D300 as a smaller sensor. The 18-200 is designed for this smaller sensor, and will not cover the entire sensor on the D700. When you put this lens on a D700, the camera is smart enough to know that only the middle of the frame is usable, so it automatically crops out the unusable portion, leaving you with a 5 MP image.

Any Nikon lens with DX in it's name is designed for the smaller sensor (D40, D90, D300) and is not ideal for use on the D700.

... is there a comparable lens to the 18-200 that is made for the D700?? Thanks

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your point of view), no, there isn't. If you're moving up to the D700, then you have to consider looking into the glass to go with it. Ideally the 24-70 2.8 and the 70-200 2.8 (About 4K worth of glass). There are also more economical lenses such as the 80-200 2.8...

Hi billco,

I second Andrew99's comment. the DX lens is built for small sensors. It'll work on a D700, but reduce the resolution and render the point of an upgrade moot. In any case, the D300 is GREAT, GREAT camera. I'm trying to figure out why you'd want to switch so quickly anyways? Are you unhappy with it?
-
At the level of the D700, the assumption is that if your using that kind of camera, you'll have the resources or professional need to invest in the highest quality lenses to go with it.
-
Given the quality of the D300, if I were you, I'd consider sticking with the D300 for the time being and investing in some high quality lenses instead. Get yourself set up with a wide-medium (like the 24-70 or 17-55) and a nice telephoto (70-200VR or 80-200 for a budget).
-
In the good old days of film, it used to be the case that lenses were much more important than camera bodies, which were just black boxes that let in light. Sharpness was determined by the quality of the glass elements in the lens. For a short time, this equation was inverted. A 3MP camera was MUCH better than a 1 MP camera. And a 6 MP was better than that. And a 12.4 MP camera even better. But as move above that threshold, I think we're returning to situation where your lenses are once again getting more important than your the resolution built in to your camera body.

That's my two cents. Good luck with it, whichever way you go.

Sorry to say this but if you are looking at upgrading the D300 to a D700 and you want to keep the 18-200, then you are really upgrading the wrong part of your camera.

Gold ring lenses first, body second. If you want to shoot in low light check out some large aperture lenses before you upgrade the body and are not satisfied with mediocre experience you will get from it because you lack the lenses to make use of it.

/EDIT: Sorry I've had some strong beer, that sentence reads horribly!

I think it will be like the 5D and 5Dmk2 they need top quality lenses to get the most out of them

They need top quality lenses to be able to have them fit on the camera. The cheaper EF-S lenses won't even fit without knocking out the focusing screen.

Canon FF cameras are EF mount. It's the same mount as EF-S except EF-S lenses are designed for APS-C sensor Canon cameras. Since the back of an EF-S lens protrudes further than an EF lens, it knocks the focusing screen out if you're smart enough to try and attach it. Some one's done it on POTN.

How does this have anything to do with the post I quoted? EF-S mounts are generally not considered high quality. Most EF mount lenses are better than their EF-S counterparts. Given, not always true, but all L lenses are EF mount. L is supposed to = quality.

Since the back of an EF-S lens protrudes further than an EF lens, it knocks the focusing screen out if you're smart enough to try and attach it. Some one's done it on POTN.
Yet another reason to go with Nikon. :lmao:

Hi Billco and welcom!

So, tell me, what's the D300 not doing for you?

I think the D300 is a great camera. I have heard great things about the D700 and would like to have the full frame feature.

Canon FF cameras are EF mount. It's the same mount as EF-S except EF-S lenses are designed for APS-C sensor Canon cameras. Since the back of an EF-S lens protrudes further than an EF lens, it knocks the focusing screen out if you're smart enough to try and attach it. Some one's done it on POTN.
Damn...that just seems like a stupid design idea to me. At least with Nikon the only time that occurs is with the old AI 8mm fish-eye.

What are you planning on doing with your D300 if you upgrade to the D700? I would be more than willing to purchase it for a reasonable price.

Ive been saving up for the D300 for 4 months now so PM me if youre willing to sell it. Im sure we can work something out.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back