What's new

Lens upgrade

rrh_hirst

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jun 21, 2011
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
Location
Oklahoma
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a Nikon D1H and a D3000 and do mostly sports and wildlife photography. I am considering upgrading my lenses, any suggestions?
 
I have 2 Nikon kit lenses, Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6 DX AF-S, Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 DX AF-S.
And i have a Sigma 28-105mm f/2.8-4 AF
I would rather stay under $400
 
I have 2 Nikon kit lenses, Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6 DX AF-S, Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 DX AF-S.
And i have a Sigma 28-105mm f/2.8-4 AF
I would rather stay under $400

Since you shoot sports and wild life, i dont think you can get something better for under 400 in the long range.

For portrait? you can get a decend prime for that money, a 50 1.4 or a 85 1.8
 
Thank you for the sugestions and the quick reply.
 
Thank you for the sugestions and the quick reply.

that lens would focus on both your bodys, but its no good for sports and wildlife since 50mm is way to short
 
The d1h will work with older manual focus lenses, you should consider some of those--especially the 50mm 1.4 ais, 24mm f2 ais, and the 300mm f4.5 if-ed ais.These lenses will also work on the d3000, but you won't have metering
 
So to replace the 18-55 I should think about the 50mm 1.8 or 1.4 and to replace the 55-200 I should look into the 70-300
 
you can find a used but flawless 70-300 vr lens for right at $400. It's not fast on the long end but yards better than your kit lens for IQ.
 
Yep at the price point would go with the 70-300vr refurbish or used. There is the 55-300vr which is newest but it's AF speed is slower than the 70-300vr and speed is everything for wildlife and sports type shooting.
.
 
Thanks to everyone that has helped!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom