lense dimesion

rohitsingh1976

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Is picture affect on lense dimension? Becouse Nikon d40 is 52mm and canon 1200d is 58mm and the Nikon d7000 is about 68mm.

If yes thn how?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess "no".

If I understand your question, I think you are asking about the diameter of the objective (front lens element). The overall amount of light-gathering ability usually increases with a larger objective, but it is the remainder of the lens elements together with the aperture that also affect the image quality. Then of course, the sensor or film that captures the light.

So no.

I don't understand what you're asking. You ask about lens dimension, but list body measurements.

Is picture affect on lense dimension? Becouse Nikon d40 is 52mm and canon 1200d is 58mm and the Nikon d7000 is about 68mm.
If yes thn how?
Yes, and No.
The field-of-view (FoV) differs with lens focal length, rather than with lens diameter.
A scene shot with a wide angle lens (up to 40 mm focal length or so) will have a much broader FoV than a telephoto lens (more than 60 mm or so).

Both the D40 and the D7000 have a 44.5 mm flange focal distance (FFD).
The Canon 1200D has a FFD of 44 mm.

If you are referring to the lens filter thread size, that varies according to the front lens element diameter.
Front lens element diameter is determined by the lens focal length, the maximum aperture the lens can achieve, and the FFD.

The 18-55 mm kit lens that comes with the D40 has a filter thread size of 52mm.
The 18-55 mm kit lens that comes with the 1200D(T5) has a filter thread size of 58mm.
The D7000 is offered with a variety of kit lens - 18-55 mm, 18-105 mm, 18-140 mm - which have filter thread diameters of - 52 mm , 67 mm, and 67 mm - respectively.

I'm just plain confused. I hope this doesn't end up another FF vs Crop type thread.

I am going to say YES, but not on the dimension you list. The controlling dimension is the FOCAL Length. Take a look at Cambridge in Colour: UNDERSTANDING CAMERA LENSES. There is a lot of information on that site, all free.

Phil

I think he's listing filter diameters....

That's simply the size of the threaded ring on the front of the lens where you can screw a filter onto the lens. That dimension has nothing at all to do with image quality or the ability of the lens to capture an image.

And it's a mistake to list that dimension as a camera dimension. It's a lens dimension. I have lenses for my D7000 that use filter sizes of 52, 62, and 67 millimeters. That tells you nothing about the camera or the lenses, though. It only tells you what size filters will fit the lens.

What's important to know about a lens is its focal length, which defines its field of view, and its maximum aperture, which defines how much light it can capture into the camera.

Most reactions

Back