Lense Packages?

sxesweets

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Looking at different "kits" you know like the packages that always come on before christmas, and am trying to decide on lenses. All come with the 18-55mm. one also has a 75-300 and I'm wondering how much I would "miss" between the 55 and 75mm? The best I have found so far was one that came with a 18-55, a 55-250 and a 75-300 and then I am thinking I can add a 50mm 1.8 that I hear so much about. Does this sound like an ok package? All the lenses are canon or should I just go with a basic camera and 18-55 lense and add them later from a different company? Sorry so many questions but I need to let Santa know what I'd like :)

Probably won't miss much with the 20mm spacing. The problem with the 3 lens kit you mentioned is both longer lenses are about the same quality level. So you would be paying a couple hundred dollars for 20mm more coverage. Thats not very cost effective.

There are other single lens kits where the lens has a wider range say 18-200 mm. That is a good kit to get. Then add the nifty fifty to it for some better low light shots.

If it were me I would ask Santa for the camera with the 18-200! And if he is more generous, add the nifty fifty, and maybe if not pushing it a flash, and tripod. :D

The lenses you get should really depend on the type of photography you do. As well, kit lenses are generally at best, mid-grade consumer lenses. If you're new to photography, and not sure exactly whree you're going to to go with it, I would suggest getting just the most basic package and adding better-quality lenses to it as time progresses and your skils develop.

Probably won't miss much with the 20mm spacing. The problem with the 3 lens kit you mentioned is both longer lenses are about the same quality level. So you would be paying a couple hundred dollars for 20mm more coverage. Thats not very cost effective.
Thanks for pointing that out. I'm going cross eyed from looking at too many sites.

There are other single lens kits where the lens has a wider range say 18-200 mm. That is a good kit to get. Then add the nifty fifty to it for some better low light shots.
The one pack is a 18-55 and a 55-250 both are IS lenses... but when I'm looking around what is "USM" on canon lenses? Am I better going with the two or will the one longer range be just as good as the two shorter ones?

If it were me I would ask Santa for the camera with the 18-200! And if he is more generous, add the nifty fifty, and maybe if not pushing it a flash, and tripod. :D
I'm def planning on asking for a nifty fifty :) can you recommend a flash though. I'm really still learning and am not sure what I need to look for in a flash, haven't quite gotten there yet in all my reading.

Thanks so much for taking the time to help me out

The lenses you get should really depend on the type of photography you do. As well, kit lenses are generally at best, mid-grade consumer lenses. If you're new to photography, and not sure exactly whree you're going to to go with it,
I have been reading about the lenses that come in the kits and so far all I have found is that they are IS (image stabilize I think)

What do you take into consideration when you are purchasing your lenses. Glass, construction, coatings? By better lens do you mean a lens that is specifically for a certain type of photo or just better quality glass, ect?

I would suggest getting just the most basic package and adding better-quality lenses to it as time progresses and your skills develop.
Thanks, I am being encouraged by my OH to go both feet first into it and I'm trying to not get ahead of myself

Thanks for pointing that out. I'm going cross eyed from looking at too many sites.

The one pack is a 18-55 and a 55-250 both are IS lenses... but when I'm looking around what is "USM" on canon lenses? Am I better going with the two or will the one longer range be just as good as the two shorter ones?

I'm def planning on asking for a nifty fifty :) can you recommend a flash though. I'm really still learning and am not sure what I need to look for in a flash, haven't quite gotten there yet in all my reading.

Thanks so much for taking the time to help me out

The kit mentioned above will be a really good start. I would add a 430EX flash and a tripod to Santa's list (if you were good that is :D ). Have really good coverage. And you can explore several areas of photography. USM is ultrasonic motor (basically motor in the lens for auto focusing).

The 430ex is a Canon brand flash that has decent power, the flash head swivels and tilts so you can take advantage of bounce flash shots (pictures will look better than from just straight ahead shots).

I agree with tireiron. If you really do not know, getting the kit lens (18-55mm IS) and the 50mm F/1.8 will be a good start.

Should I look for lenses with the USM then or should I learn to deal without it and learn to do it myself right from the get go? Will def be looking into the flash.

Out of curiosity do you mind my asking what you shoot with?

Should I look for lenses with the USM then or should I learn to deal without it and learn to do it myself right from the get go? Will def be looking into the flash.

Out of curiosity do you mind my asking what you shoot with?

Actaully any AF Canon lens will have USM or similar (vibration ring vs. geared motor, probably more than you need to know though).

As for me. I could not decide. I have Canon and Nikon. Canon used to be my good DSLR but now it has been replaced with a better Nikon. And then I have my smaller Nikon that is now going from 2nd to 3rd. :D

For someone just learning. I think the kit you listed above will be just fine. It gives you alot of room to try several areas of photography. And since you are a beginner I don't feel its right to tell you to go out and by the greatest stuff made (IE. the better really expensive lenses). You will have a good system to stay with and learn and grow. I try not to push one brand over another as each has good points.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back