Lenses and their capability

jev425

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I recently just bought a Nikon D60. It came with the 18-55mm lens.
What I want to know is what is the lens capable of, in other word what is the lens best suited for.

Also want to know what are the advantages of having the 18-55mm lens and the 55-200 in comparison to having just one lens, that being the 18-200mm lens.

I just bought the camera thursday and am just getting interested in photography so if my question seems really dumb I don't mean it to be.

Lenses of fixed focal length, primes are known for sharpness and high image quality (IQ).. now start to extend the range adding more glass, moving parts.. now give a lens a huge range, and well quality suffers as engineers have to stack more glass in there.

That is a nice range you have there. Not sure about the quality or speed* (fast exposure via large aperture, indicated by smaller numbers:confused:) of the lenses as you did not list the stop(s).

Congratulations on your new toy, may it morph into an Artist's tool over the next few years. Keep the manual in the bathroom & a copy of Understanding Exposure in your office/studio.

-Shea

As a side note here are those smaller = bigger apertures.
apertures.gif

Last edited:
as a general rule of thumb the shorter the focal range of the lense thebetter the quality of the image, it is generally considered that primes (non zoom lenses) are the greatest. obviously there are different quality of lenses for each focal range and the more expensive the lense generally the better glass used to make it and therfore better image quality.

I dont really know nikon lenses but ill give you canon example.

the 18-55mm kit lens is a lower quality to the 50mm f1.8 prime, this is lower than the f1.2 50mm prime.

please correct anything im wrong about guys ^_^

what do you mean by stop(s)? I am so new at this and the terminology is still new to me.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back