Lenses or lense for noobie........

Blind Lemon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have pretty much decided to get a D40 for my first DSLR, been going back and forth between that and the D80. I know...pretty big difference but I am a noob' and don't have a lot of prior experience. I even researched the D70.

Anyway the question is this....what lens? I want an general carry lens to shoot backyard stuff, tree frogs, birds etc. Also I would like to try to shoot down town city nightscapes. (if there is such a word) Also my twin nephs are just starting out in sports, soccer. Duck hunting, model sailplanes in flight, concerts. I love to play guitar BTW.That ought to give ya'll a general idea.

I know that with the D40 the limitations (?) of having to use the AF-S lens so I was looking at the kit lenses. I don't know whether to get 2 lenses or 1. Example: 18-55 and the 55-200VR. Or just getting one lens at first just to learn around, like the 18-70 or 18-135.

I think I know, but I thought I would ask because of the great information I have gotten here so far. Remember I'm new, but I am very technically minded. My current camera is a Canon A75.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.:hail:

BL

Last edited:
Guess it depends. You've given us a lot of different subjects that each may need their own type of lens depending on your style. I think if it was me and the Fstop on that 18-135 was any good, that'd be a good starter. Just my opinion though, don't yell at me later when you don't like it. ;)

If you want one lens to take pictures of everything you described, only something like the Tamron 18-250 would work, because of it's range.
But, you should be aware that a zoom like this one has limitations. The barel distortion on the wide end is bad and it vignetes wide open.
Nikon also offers something pretty similar: the 18-200.
But in the end, it all depends on your standards as far as image quality is concerned. If you have high standards, one lens is not going to do it all!

I really like my 18-135. It's sloooooooooo but alright for outdoor shooting.

...I don't know whether to get 2 lenses or 1. Example: 18-55 and the 55-200VR. Or just getting one lens at first just to learn around, like the 18-70 or 18-135..

Good question. The lenses that deudeu mentioned are probably suited to the tasks you've mentioned, however, remember, that like everything else, a camera lens that tries to do too much is going to do none it well. I know that especially the Nikon 18-200 has a huge following, and it is a decent lens, but it's a 'Swiss Army' lens; that is, it tries to be all things to all people.

I have seen some absolutely amazing results from the D40 kit lenses, and assuming that you don't mind stopping to change lenses, I would suggest that the two lens kit (18-200mm) is the way to go. This will cover all of the focal lengths you need for 98% of photography. The only major downside to these lenses is that they're a bit on the slow side, but unless you have the $$$ to move up to the Nikon 24-70 f2.8 ($1900) I'd say getting those two lenses is it. I'm pretty sure you'll reget it if you only buy the one.

For a budget starter lens, I cannot recommend the 18-135 enough. It's a single lens that you can pop on the camera, pretty much never take it off and have it cover a great deal of the kind of pictures that most people would want to take.

As you grow into the camera and become more comfortable you will ubdoubtably find the limitations of the lens and you will realize what your next lens will need to be, but in the meantime this will give you a decent amount of flexibility and not break the bank.

Certainly, if you have more cash kicking around the 18-200 VR is also a great option.

tirediron wrote: "I have seen some absolutely amazing results from the D40 kit lenses, and assuming that you don't mind stopping to change lenses, I would suggest that the two lens kit (18-200mm) is the way to go."

By 2 lens you mean the ones I wrote about....18-55/55-200VR?

No love for the 18-70........I read some pretty good reviews on it?

BL

tirediron wrote: "I have seen some absolutely amazing results from the D40 kit lenses, and assuming that you don't mind stopping to change lenses, I would suggest that the two lens kit (18-200mm) is the way to go."

By 2 lens you mean the ones I wrote about....18-55/55-200VR?

No love for the 18-70........I read some pretty good reviews on it?

BL

Yes, I meant the 18-55/55-200VR "combo-pack". The 18-70 is a great lens as well, but it leaves you a little short at the tele-end for a well rounded setup. It really boils down to how much money you want to spend.

Well the deal is done....I went with the 2 lenses. Everything is ordered, so if everything goes ok I'll have it by the end of the week.

BL

Most reactions

New Topics

Back