Lenses

Double v

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What's goin on guys, got a quick question about lenses. I'm looking to buy a new lens anywhere within the price $0 - $500 but wanted to know if there are some good lenses to buy. I'm not looking to buy this lense for a photo shoot or anything just a personal investment. So can somene give me some names of some good lenses? Thanks in advance

what kind of camera are you using?
what kind of shooting do you want to use the lens for?

Nikon d5000 and just some everyday family events maybe some new born baby pics or weddings

Can't go wrong with 35mm 1.8. Great lense and fun/fast glass.

what kind of camera are you using?
what kind of shooting do you want to use the lens for?

same questions

I'll give you some examples as to my lens selections

35mm 1.8 is great for low light. however it's limiting in the view as I prefer wide angle and doesn't zoom at all. I don't use it outside dusk/nighttime normally

18-50 2.8 is not quite as good for low light but is outstanding for inside without a flash unless there's lots of movement. this is my go to lens when I don't care about zoom distance as it's light weight and good quality

18-200 4.5-5.6 is outstanding outdoors but not that good indoors in comparison. I've been keeping this and a flash on my camera more these days when I'm ok with the weight

11-16 2.8 is super wide.

70-300 4.5-5.6 is for reach

50 1.8 I keep for my reversing coupler. it's not used otherwise

How about for like fast movements? Like kids running around the park etc.

In good light, any of those would work for outdoor shot. Personally in that situation I would maybe use 18-200 as the kids may come in close or ran a ways away from you.

Is there any specific brand or anything I should look into? Also where can I learn more about lenses and all? Because with my nikon d5000 when I set the shutter speed to about 1500 and the aperture to like 28 or whatever the highest is the images come out so dark you can't tell what I took a pic of lol if I was to go outside on a nice sunny day like today (new York area) will the pics come out good under those settings?

Is there any specific brand or anything I should look into? Also where can I learn more about lenses and all? Because with my nikon d5000 when I set the shutter speed to about 1500 and the aperture to like 28 or whatever the highest is the images come out so dark you can't tell what I took a pic of lol if I was to go outside on a nice sunny day like today (new York area) will the pics come out good under those settings?

Unless you're taking pictures of Jet airplanes breaking the sound barrier on the surface of the sun, those settings seem wildly unnecessary. But to each their own.

Have you done any reading on the relationship between the fstop and shutter speed? The higher numbers don't always correlate with better quality images...........

Personally in regards to the lenses, I would stick with Nikon brand. It's the best chance of the lens working with future Nikon bodies, Plus, they make great glass. Buy once cry once i always say......

"Also where can I learn more about lenses and all? "

I don't want to disregard your questions and Ceiling Cat knows I'm in no position to patronize, but: Your questions really seem to denote some gaps in understanding some of the real basics of photography. You will get a lot of recommendations for lenses that you can sink a ton of money in. You may be better served, and have more fun, starting with a relatively cheap zoom and using it to get good and read on photography. One of the most fun activities. Scott Kelby's books on photography basics, the Ansel Adams guides, Brian Peterson's Understanding Exposure are all excellent places to start. Someone recently posted a link to the Adorama TV channel on youtube, very good basics snippets. Otherwise you find yourself spending more money when in fact you can get better results with low cost.
If I'm mistaken I apologize for the wrong assumption.

Either you have absolutely no knowledge of photography, or you're a SOCK (troll)

If you aren't a SOCK, do some reading up in your manual and online or purchase some books (understanding exposure) and hold off on the lenses.

But, I call SOCK.

Well like I stated in my previous post, I'm no pro, I just always been interested in photography ever since junior high school. Just never had the money to afford a dslr. And while we are on this topic, I feel I should say this...I honestly don't care what anyone on this forum or off this forum think of me, keep those remarks to yourself, I'm not interested lol. Back to the question...thanks for the feedback guys, came to a conclusion I might just keep my money in my pocket and just work with what I have now... Thanks again

Hey there try out a 50mm yeah I know it's focal length is fixed but the shots that you can get from it are great and the depth of field is great!,The outside is usually made if plastic so it looks cheap but it's a lens that every photographer should have in my opinion. Happy glass hunting!!! :)

Well like I stated in my previous post, I'm no pro, I just always been interested in photography ever since junior high school. Just never had the money to afford a dslr. And while we are on this topic, I feel I should say this...I honestly don't care what anyone on this forum or off this forum think of me, keep those remarks to yourself, I'm not interested lol. Back to the question...thanks for the feedback guys, came to a conclusion I might just keep my money in my pocket and just work with what I have now... Thanks again

What they're trying to say is that you need to at least have a basic understanding of aperture, shutter speed, etc before you even think about upgrading lenses.

Attitudes like yours won't get you very far on this board.

Your conclusion is probably the best one.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back