Lets get a new lens!

MVPernula

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Heya!

I recently got my D7100 and I'm pretty satisfied, really felt like an upgrade from the D5100.
For the time being I have the classic 18-55mm lens that came with the D5100 and an additional 50mm! Man that 1.8 aperture is glorious!

I am however feeling slightly limited, something new would be refreshing to say the least. But I'm afraid I'm lacking knowledge about what's "good" and what's not. That's probably not how it works either, some lenses are good for something specific where some other aren't.

Problem is also.. I don't know what I want. I have no specific urge towards some form of photography, like 'I want to do macro'/'I want to shoot landscapes' etc. So Basically just general tips about lenses, help me get an idea about which lens is good for what and why I should give it a shot! Get it? Shot? *kill me*

Anyhow, my budget isn't huge and I know that limits my options. What kind of lens doesn't really matter, as mentioned I can take anything into consideration!

Thanks, guys :)

Here have a taste of my creations:
xQbVxJT.jpg

That's a hard question to answer without you telling us what you want to achieve. If you stay in the current DX series glass, you really can't go wrong. Think along focal length terms. A 10-20mm zoom has you covered in wide. 55-200 gives you more reach. I find the fast primes allow more creative control but can be expensive depending on focal length. The 85mm micro would be a good addition. It allows you to do macro and flexible for portraits. This is a real nice lens for the money. Not real fast but excellent image quality.
AF-S DX Micro NIKKOR 85mm f/3.5G ED VR

I hear good things about the newish 70-300. I would get that, shoot for a while and see which focal lengths you use the most. Then start thinking about expensive primes.

The new 70-300 AF-P VR...update the camera's firmware from the Nikon site's downlopad page, then you can fully use that lens as it was intended. 70-300 is very 'selectivbe' in its angles of view on APS-C; that would make tele shots easy to compose!

Problem is also.. I don't know what I want.

Perhaps you need to gain experience until you do.

I know I'm being sort of.. Tough.
But I don't feel like the experience is lacking, rather the fact that I'm lacking knowledge about what different lenses actually do.
"What will a 10-20mm give me that a 50mm doesn't" and vice versa. Stuff like that!
Getting info about your favourites and why you recommend them and so on.

I hear good things about the newish 70-300. I would get that, shoot for a while and see which focal lengths you use the most. Then start thinking about expensive primes.

Oh cool! I'll check those out. I believe my girlfriend has a 70-300, lucky me!

I would agree a telephoto would normally be the next lens. I would say it would be before an ultra wide if there's no direct need for one.

The new 70-300 AF-P VR...update the camera's firmware from the Nikon site's downlopad page, then you can fully use that lens as it was intended. 70-300 is very 'selectivbe' in its angles of view on APS-C; that would make tele shots easy to compose!
That's really good info, I'll definetly consider this.
I feel like my 18-55mm zoom is pretty.. Insufficient. So a 'deeper' zoom might be a good way to go!

I would agree a telephoto would normally be the next lens. I would say it would be before an ultra wide if there's no direct need for one.
Alright, so telephoto before ultra wide.. I'll remember that! And no, there's no direct need for it :)

For the time being I have the classic 18-55mm lens that came with the D5100 and an additional 50mm! Man that 1.8 aperture is glorious!

I am however feeling slightly limited, something new would be refreshing to say the least. But I'm afraid I'm lacking knowledge about what's "good" and what's not. That's probably not how it works either, some lenses are good for something specific where some other aren't.

Problem is also.. I don't know what I want. I have no specific urge towards some form of photography, like 'I want to do macro'/'I want to shoot landscapes' etc. So Basically just general tips about lenses, help me get an idea about which lens is good for what and why I should give it a shot! Get it? Shot? *kill me*

Anyhow, my budget isn't huge and I know that limits my options. What kind of lens doesn't really matter, as mentioned I can take anything into consideration!
You've got the short-to medium range covered, so why not something a little longer? How about a medium-length telephoto (I like the 85mm 1.8 G) to see what you think of it. You weren't specific as to your budget, so let us know.

@benhasajeep @fmw @Derrel @jcdeboever @goooner

Taking everything you guys said into consideration.
I want to ask about macro as well. Macro is something I've been somewhat intrigued about for a while, but also quite sceptical.
You can get amazing shots with a macro lens, but is it boring? I mean.. It feels like it'll be very repetitive.
Thoughts?

You've got the short-to medium range covered, so why not something a little longer? How about a medium-length telephoto (I like the 85mm 1.8 G) to see what you think of it. You weren't specific as to your budget, so let us know.
I mentioned that my budget isn't huge, so basically go from there. There's no price set in stone, but nothing too expensive. Something on the budget-y end or slightly above it.
Aside from that a 85mm doesn't sound too bad, neither does a 70-300mm.
I'll definetly look into both!

I want to ask about macro as well. Macro is something I've been somewhat intrigued about for a while, but also quite sceptical.
You can get amazing shots with a macro lens, but is it boring? I mean.. It feels like it'll be very repetitive.
Thoughts?
Well a macro lens is not just for macro. A 105 macro is a good portrait lens as well. There is a whole world to macro. Take a look at some samples. We have 3 macro lenses. And we use them often.

Thoughts?
Try it and let us know what you think about it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back