Lighting suggestions?

ulrichsd

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, I was curious if anyone could quickly suggest a flash that can be used on and off camera for around $100? For portraits and baby photos type of stuff? Or do I want a studio light instead of a speedlight? Please point me in the right direction...

I have absolutely no experience here...

I do have some old Super8mm lights that I could try for lighting as well? Similar to:
Super 8 Sun Gun / movie light / Sylvania Sun gun - eBay (item 260745879220 end time Mar-31-11 12:46:20 PDT)
eBayISAPI.dll

If you use one of these you will know why they call them "sun guns" they are very hot and very bright!

Thanks!
Scott

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You probably won't find a dedicated TTL flash for your camera for $100. But you could probably find something that has to be manual controlled.

Ideally, I'd recommend the Nikon SB600 for you. It would work great on camera with full functionality, and would also work well as an off-camera flash.

You can do it a couple ways. If the hot lights are too hot. You can use just about any flash with an optical slave built in (used sb-26, or SB-80DX), or buy an opticial slave shoe to use with a flash that doesnt have it built in (just about any flash with manual controls). So, you could do wireless off camera flash for less than $100 that way. Next would be using a wireless transmitter (like cowboy, cactus, pocket wizard,etc). But with the cost of a trigger, and a flash, then your probably over your $100 budget. There is several thirdparty flashes that claim to be CLS compatable that your D90 should be able to control wirelessly. The only ones under $100 are YongNuo brand (YN-465, YN-467, YN-468). I have no experience with them.

Might want to check out www.strobist.com Lots of good information there. Be a good starting point.

Thanks Mike and Ben for the suggestions! I could probably come up with $180 for the SB600 if that will do the job. Maybe I'll try these movie lights I have first to see if they do the trick, I could always bounce them off some white posterboard I suppose if they are too strong... I don't really need anything portable right now so I'm thinking they might do the trick...

It seems like the SB-600 sells used on ebay for as much as you can buy it new? Found it here for $180:
Nikon SB-600 AF Speedlight i-TTL Shoe Mount Flash SB600 at AccessoryCircut.com

I suggest you stay away from that site. I cannot find them on resellers ratings. And $180 for a new one, is way too low. It has not been that low for more than a year and a half / two years. Most stores are now selling them for a min of $225 approaching $250 or more! I think that is a scammer or at least a bait and switch site.

Found them I was spelling it correctly which is wrong. That company is not a good company. Stay away!!!!! It's a bait and switch company.

I suggest you stay away from that site. I cannot find them on resellers ratings. And $180 for a new one, is way too low. It has not been that low for more than a year and a half / two years. Most stores are now selling them for a min of $225 approaching $250 or more! I think that is a scammer or at least a bait and switch site.

Found them I was spelling it correctly which is wrong. That company is not a good company. Stay away!!!!! It's a bait and switch company.

Yikes! Thanks for the info.

Most reactions

Back