Lightroom - Auto Black & White

3Dogs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is one feature that I had been wanting for a while. However, imo they failed in implementing this is in a real time-saving way. I would like the ability to have it execute during import or possibly run it for all selected files at once (ie after setting your exposure). It would also be nice if you had some control of the configuration it uses (maybe in your user preferences). Useful, yes.. but it could have been so much more...

if your just going to use batch auto settings anyway, why not just shoot using your cameras monochrome setting?

Not at home with my laptop to try this but here's what I am thinking/asking.

If you selected all photos that you want to convert, and make sure the the autosync is running, can't you set WB and the press the black&white button in the Basic Tab to convert them all?

if your just going to use batch auto settings anyway, why not just shoot using your cameras monochrome setting?

I'm not following...this would apply to any photo.. color or b&w. It is a short cut they provided... as opposed to moving the sliders with the alt key down until an acceptable level is achieved. LR6 will attempt to do this for you by holding the shift key, but you still have to do it one picture at a time. It would be much more useful if they added it as a menu setting or right click setting to apply it to all your photos. It would also be nice if you could specify the amount of clipping that is acceptable to you. You can always change it from the setting it picks..

To have Lightroom set your White & Black points automatically for you:
(1) Hold the Shift key
(2) Double-click directly on the Whites and Blacks slider

Jason, I could see a benefit from batch processing as a starting point (like a preset). Then you could go to each individual image and make local adjustments on a case by case basis.

I have no idea then. I thought you just meant taking all your photos and doing a single B&W conversion that is applied to all of them

Can't one just select the specific Adobe B&W "preset" look one wants as the import preset that will be applied when showing the images and creating the initial previews? Or has that feature been changed in this newest update?

This has nothing to do with creating a black & white specifically.. not sure where that confusion is coming from..other than that is the way Adobe labeled their sliders. It is setting your White and Black slider (White Clipping/Black Clipping) to try and widen the tonal range. Most people I have read/watched tend to set their white point to where it just starts to clip and show a few spots (with alt key down) and allow the blacks to clip more (which is how it appears to be implemented by Adobe). This is a big generalization, but tends to be a common starting point for many people. This setting would change after other settings are changed such as exposure, so you would potentially want to re-check it after making some other changes.

Most reactions

Back