becoming an expert photographer?

ph0toe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
when you understand the fundamental /technical aspect of photography, composing and lighting, what else do you need to know in order to say you're an expert photographer? can anyone provide an image of such caliber and explain what make it better than another in comparison?

Certainly artistic expression wouldn't hurt at all, and being able to quickly and accurately set up a shot, including the lighting, camera, etc., and do it consistently.

Certainly artistic expression wouldn't hurt at all, and being able to quickly and accurately set up a shot, including the lighting, camera, etc., and do it consistently.

what makes a good photo vs exceptional? any examples?

Here is a link that provides some insight:
Snapshot vs Good Photograph: 7 photographers weigh in

In most cases a snapshot is literally that. A snapshot of a moment in time. Sometimes it works well, mostly its simply a moment in time.

The image when posed, or framed, mood lighting, angle, framing, use of various rules like rules of thirds, golden circle, etc that comes into play.

In the example in the link, there is a woman who is with her kids in a stroller. if the image had better contrast and different angle, along with some amount of framed "drama" or such the image would pop out.

many pro end photographers will tell you that about 60%+ of their own shots get dumped because they simply don't capture the intent.

In this link the author explains how to pose the camera to get the "better" photo.
Let’s Talk: Portraits vs Snapshots

in most instances, simply changing the position of the camera and angle of light does the trick.

Other times its simply the right moment at the right time, vs having a staged photo.

Good, great, and exceptional are all subjective and will have different definitions depending on who you ask.

Art and food are similar in that if you like it, its good. That's all that matters, that you like it.

can't photoshop and lightroom just fix that?

why? post production does all the job now

why? post production does all the job now

Post production can only fix so much. If you don't understand that, you'll never be a photography expert.

Reactions: pez
Take a sharp photo, add some contrast and hue on photoshop to get the setting you are trying to evoke. poof. now i got an excellent photo. whats the issue?

There is a difference between using your camera correctly and taking a good shot.

A correctly exposed shot of something uninteresting is still uninteresting.

Take a sharp photo, add some contrast and hue on photoshop to get the setting you are trying to evoke. poof. now i got an excellent photo. whats the issue?

your photo sucks. go troll elsewhere.

The problem with the question is that the term "Expert" is subjective.

I would argue that the term expert would mean that the person would hold not only a doctorate level of knowledge (Don't read education, they're completely different) but also at least several years of experience after having gained this knowledge therefore there is no such thing as an "Expert Photographer"

NO photographer, no matter what YouTube tells you, dedicates themselves to an extensive knowledge of ALL thinks photography. Everyone finds what they like and focuses there. Yes we all dabble in more than one area but not to the extent to be an expert. Reading a book, watching a video or learning a thing is great but without the extensive practice behind to truly understand all the little details you can not call yourself an expert.
Even further I would laugh in the face of anyone that proclaimed to be one.

Stop focusing on a title. Be the best you can be. If you really need a title, Photographer.

To say you are an expert photographer, you need to know a lot more than just the basics.
I would consider it to imply more than just sufficient competence to make your living doing it, perhaps 1% of professional photographers might be able to justify the claim.

what makes a good photo vs exceptional? any examples?
This question introduces a different concept. Your first question (in the title) asks about "expert". My answer stands.

Your second question asks about the photographs. The best way to differentiate good from exceptional is to start looking at some really good photographs, and compare them with just "good" photographs.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back