Liking likes and disagreeing with disagrees

I don't mind a Dislike as long as the person using it explains their position.
Unfortunately, that's NOT how they're being used currently...we have a small group using them in a very lax manner...just clicking Disagree as a way to flick $hit at others...

The only disagrees I have were from someone just messing around with me. I know they meant it to be funny...but...yeah...I kinda LIKE my "well-liked" reputation. ;)
Like you said, if they had used it because they actually did disagree or dislike something I'd said, it would have been fine.

When the Disagree button became an option, I was interested to see how it was used. There are definitely some that take the Disagree button personally. I remember giving a disagree to a poster who then dug through a multi-page thread in order to find my posts and give me some revenge Disagrees. Who needs petty crap like that? So now I just ignore the Disagree button. If I feel strongly about something, I'll write my disagreement in a response. Otherwise, I just move along.

I don't let imaginary stats bother me. Stuff like facebook likes, 500px ratings, credit scores etc... They all don't matter so no need to worry.

I'm of two minds on this. If a person "disagrees" and explains the reasoning, I'm OK with it, kinda. Otherwise, despite it being an "imaginary" thing, one part of me starts wanting to wish upon the person the rendering open of the earth and them falling to the depths of fire in hell. Then the other parts start making fun of THAT part for completely overreacting to an internet slight, which gets even more offended and starts sniping back about "them" being so perfect... And before you know it, there's a little war happening just behind your eyebrows. I'm thinking that it must be because it is a "red" X. If it was a green or blue or yellow colour, then the hostility may be more muted. Are we all still carrying around the red "A" symbol in our subconsiousness?

I'm of two minds on this. If a person "disagrees" and explains the reasoning, I'm OK with it, kinda. Otherwise, despite it being an "imaginary" thing, one part of me starts wanting to wish upon the person the rendering open of the earth and them falling to the depths of fire in hell. Then the other parts start making fun of THAT part for completely overreacting to an internet slight, which gets even more offended and starts sniping back about "them" being so perfect... And before you know it, there's a little war happening just behind your eyebrows. I'm thinking that it must be because it is a "red" X. If it was a green or blue or yellow colour, then the hostility may be more muted. Are we all still carrying around the red "A" symbol in our subconsiousness?

Wow, someone who evidently knows EXACTLY what it's like to live in MY head!!
My condolences to you. :D

I don't let imaginary stats bother me. Stuff like facebook likes, 500px ratings, credit scores etc... They all don't matter so no need to worry.

I feel the same, especially about 'keeper rate".

I wonder if I can disagree with myself?

Edit: Apparently not.

Thank you! I hated having ten of them -- I like prime numbers.

My youngest son told me about a study he'd read a few years ago.
I don't know if you have them in Canada, but here the police have this electronic speed-detection signs that they can set up in problem areas. It simply flashes your speed at you as you approach it--the intent is not to "catch" speeders, but to get them to slow down by simply alerting them to their speed.
Well, this particular study found that this had NO effect whatsoever on people speeding. Even if the machine flashed a "50" at them and they were in a 35 mph zone, very few people actually slowed down upon seeing that number.

But then, they replaced the actual speed with a simple smiley face and a frowny face. Going the speed limit or under the limit? The machine flashes a smiley face at you. Going over the speed limit? The machine flashes a frowny face.
The result? I can't remember the percentage, but a FAR greater percentage of people slowed down when they saw the frowny face, compared to those who slowed down because they saw the actual speed they were going.

Because after all, "imaginary thing" or not...NOBODY wants to get a frowny face!! :D

...I don't know if you have them in Canada...
No need; our dog-sleds never get about 20MPH

:p

Actually there's one of those at the entrance to a school zone I drive by; it's got two stages of frowny face. One, just a regular 'emoticon' style frown if you're between 1 and 10 km/h over the limit and if you're 11 or more over, it turns to a frown with tongue sticking out and 'X's for eyes. (I know this because the sign isn't sync'd to a clock, so if you go by during non-school times, it still shows the school-zone limits).

Actually there's one of those at the entrance to a school zone I drive by; it's got two stages of frowny face. One, just a regular 'emoticon' style frown if you're between 1 and 10 km/h over the limit and if you're 11 or more over, it turns to a frown with tongue sticking out and 'X's for eyes. (I know this because the sign isn't sync'd to a clock, so if you go by during non-school times, it still shows the school-zone limits).
We have something like that in school zones here. It's a camera tied to RADAR. If you speed, it takes a nice photo of you driving your car (with your tag.) When you get the copy and the bill in the mail, you get a frowny face.

Here's your dislike button.
youtube_dislike_button_by_videogamingninja-d4u6qm6.png

Most reactions

New Topics

Back