little help with electricals

gendarmee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm trying too make a terminal for a tubular bulb over a 2 * 2 inch mild steel sheet, using brass terminals.
I sandwiched the input terminal between rectangular pieces of compact disc (one rivet in the center too attach the terminal too the top piece of disc and 2 more rivets at the edges of the plastic too fix the setup too the metal sheet )
Now, I used metal rivets, my doubt is whether the pieces of disc would cause a short, because the compact disc has a layer of metal in it(which makes the reflective surface)
The power source is a 12V 4Amp battery.

Do you have an ohmmeter?

Is this what you have (sorry for the crappy drawing...)?
crappydrawing.png

If so, I think the terminal is probably grounded to the plate. Test it with an ohmmeter to be sure.

I think you should be alright, so long as you don't short the terminals, but I agree with the Jeep Guy. If you want to do electrical stuff, you gotta have a multi-meter around!

Will the metal rivets + the metal in the CD ground the input current?

If they are in contact with the metal inside the CD I think there's a good chance that it's bonding it to the plate (assuming there is sufficient metal inside the CD for that). You would have to check it with an ohmmeter to be sure though.

You might be able to rig a little test light up to see if there is any current going from the terminal to the plate.

You know...on CD-Rs the metal layer isn't on the outside, it's the underside of the top label. Scratch off the edges around the holes/rivets, and no sweat!

You know...on CD-Rs the metal layer isn't on the outside, it's the underside of the top label. Scratch off the edges around the holes/rivets, and no sweat!

Or you could put some kind of non-conductive sleeve in the hole before shooting/squeezing the rivets. (Sounds like a lot of work either way.)

The easiest solution would probably be to find some material other than a CD to use...

It's only 12v, try it and find out seeing as you've already made it. You could always try an epoxy resin to build it. No contacts and visible joins. Don't know of any brand names in the US but go to any DIY shop or place which sells car parts and you'll find some for under £5 ($10). Rapid stuff isn't normally as strong - just in case you wanted to know and are thinking to other uses for it.

Most reactions

Back