Little trouble with TTL

tecboy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
San Jose, Cali, The Heart of Silicon Valley
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm having a little trouble with TTL exposure setting. When I increase one increment of TTL exposure, the photo looks slightly over exposed. When I decrease one increment, the photo looks slightly under exposed. For the manual flash, I get the right exposures. I heard that TTL is far better than Manual flash.

When I increase one increment of TTL exposure, the photo looks slightly over exposed. When I decrease one increment, the photo looks slightly under exposed.

Did you expect something different to happen? It sounds like it is working correctly to me.

I don't think I would ever say that TTL is better than manual, but sometimes it's just as good, and many times it's faster.

Did you expect something different to happen? It sounds like it is working correctly to me.

I don't think I would ever say that TTL is better than manual, but sometimes it's just as good, and many times it's faster.

Commie.

Commie.

Haha. I didn't say it was better, I said sometimes it is just as good. As in not all of the time, or even most of the time.

Ok comrade...

So, in your world Runnah, do "commies" wear the white hats or the black ones? How about fuscia hats with pink trim and boa feathers?;)

So, in your world Runnah, do "commies" wear the white hats or the black ones? How about fuscia hats with pink trim and boa feathers?;)

They have one gray hat that the entire town has to share.

Sometimes the when I change increments on TTL, I get same exposure on several photographs. Should I forget about using TTL and use Manual Flash instead?

TTL is great for "snapshots", parties, stuff like that - where getting the shot before it disappears is more important than getting the exposure absolutely perfect.

Manual is usually preferred whenever you have the time to do the necessary metering or test shots.

There's obviously more to it than that, but that's the simple version...

Sometimes the when I change increments on TTL, I get same exposure on several photographs. Should I forget about using TTL and use Manual Flash instead?

What increments or settings are you changing that are varying your exposure? You don't say in either of your posts. If you're adjusting the flash exposure compensation, that will obviously effect your metered flash output and either lessen or increase depending on your distance from 0 on the FEC setting.

"Manual flash" is perfectly fine for static shooting situations, where the various variables stay pretty constant, or only change intermittently. A good example is a quick speedlight portrait setup, where one,two,or three flash units are placed into position(s), and then the subject is placed at "X" location and then you begin photographing. Manual flash works GREAT is such situations. Same with grip and grin situations where you ALWAYS shoot at 1,2, or 3 distances with pretty much one focal length (based on group width)...manual flash is fine.

TTL flash works pretty well, but there is a third option. AUTO-Flash, or Auto-Thyristor flash. In it, the flash is set to put out enough light for a specific lens aperture, when used at a specific ISO level, and based on the focus distance conveyed by the camera, the flash puts out more-or less, flash, as needed. It's an old system. It can work very well.

One of the single biggest problems with speedlight flash can be running out of POWER. As in, not having enough flash power to cover the physical distances involved. As well as running low on battery reserve, and having to wait and wait for the flash to become fully charged, lest it deliver yet another anemic, under-powered, half-shot of flash.

The user can also create "issues" by setting borderline settings which push the capabilities of the flash/f-stop/ISO/distance/location parameters. Sometimes, there is NO PLUS compensation room available....as in..."NO, silly human, you can NOT add 1.7 EV worth of FEC comp at 66 feet at f/11"...and this happens quite a bit actually.

I'm having a little trouble with TTL exposure setting. When I increase one increment of TTL exposure, the photo looks slightly over exposed. When I decrease one increment, the photo looks slightly under exposed. For the manual flash, I get the right exposures. I heard that TTL is far better than Manual flash.

What adjustments are you making to the TTL? My understanding of TTL is that the camera and flash will automatically produce a good exposure.

Maybe your TTL is not working correctly. Try resetting everything to factory settings and see what happens. If you are still getting unsatisfactory results, then something needs repair.

TTL is not "better", just easier.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back