Liveview Vs Viewfinder (looking through the lense)

Raley

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I think its called viewfinder, where you put your face to the camera and look through the lense vs liveview.. sorry complete novice here.
Should i be using one or the other? Or is it preference? I often see professionals using viewfinder over liveview. Me i can only seem to use liveview as it shows so much more detail and i can really tell what it is focusing on. Are there advantages/disadvantages to one or the other? What do you guys use and what should i be using?​

There is no right or wrong to this. Most photographers are used to looking through the viewfinder because they have done that for years - long before smartphones were invented. People relatively new to photography tend to use the display instead because they are used to that from their smartphones.
Especially in bright daylight, using the display can be a pain. Also some cameras are heavy and hard to hold in front of you and it may also introduce camera shake more than when you hold it up against your face with a shorter "level arm" (english is not my first language so I had to google that - I hope it makes sense ;) ).
On the other hand learning manual exposure is easier when using the display.
So you see, there are advantages and disadvantages.
Mirrorless cameras have a digital viewfinder, so you see what you get just like looking at your display.

I usually only use live view for Long exposures or shots where it would be difficult or impossible to actually look through the viewfinder.

On a very bright sunny day is the time to use the viewfinder, as the back screen would be so hard to use.

okay, thank you guys!

Using the viewfinder also gives you an extra point to steady the camera - face to the camera and elbows into the body gives a steady base to minimize camera shake.

I only use liveview when I need to use the articulating screen on my D5600, most other times I use the viewfinder.

In very dark or night scenarios, the advantage shifts back to live view- illuminated screen helps.

pretty much always use the viewfinder. Nikons have a rotating lcd for live view which I think would come in handy for photographing above the head shots or shots that require holding the camera weird angle. I shoot canon so I don't have a fancy LCD screen that swivels :(

Using Liveview inserts a pause between pressing the shutter release and the shutter firing. That totally messes up any timing to get the shot you want.
In any bright light, like outside, it's very hard to see the screen so I either use the viewfinder or attach the cover with the magnifier that is used for shooting video..

I much prefer the viewfinder except for macro in a controlled environment with a tripod.

Besides, everyone knows if you want to look professional you can’t be holding your camera out in front of you like a cell phone photographer. :lol:

Jk. Whatever works for you to get the shot in the circumstances you are in is how you should do it.

Depends, there are times when live view comes in handy, especially with an articulating screen. However most of the time I use the view finder.

I use the viewfinder almost exclusively. Live view is slower and uses more battery. I doubt if you can actually see where the focus area is any better in live view.

Most reactions

Back